Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Pig down

Old 08-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the double smak'em!!!! I took the wife back to Tx some years back, crystal city area, and we hunted hogs on a buddys place. We went to a box blind he had between 2 ponds. He dropped us off about a 1/4mi short of the blind and we walked in. We get there and I set my pack off and pull out my 45 and put in a mag of birdshot loads. She looks at me silly and I turn on my headlamp and start lookn the edge of the wooden box blind over. I start to open the door as she starts to go in and I told her to wait. About that time we hear 1 inside. I creep the door open and he is in the corner right where she would have had to step to allow me in to sit in the chairs.
After the noise and dust settles, and he is outside the box, she didn't seem to want to hunt anymore!!!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

That's crazy but good thing you looked first; I'm wearing snake boots regardless of the heat from now on
Old 09-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BRUSE
That's crazy but good thing you looked first; I'm wearing snake boots regardless of the heat from now on
With having grown up in Texas most my life, I have learned to look where I cant see before I commit to it. Plus he told me that he hadn't hunted that blind for some time as that's why we were going there. It was so hot already that we already had on shorts and t-shirts at 0500 just because of the heat.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BRUSE
The big ones may be fun to shot but these taste so good
I know what you mean. The smaller ones (~85 Lbs) seem the best, in that they're big enough to be worth the trouble but young enough to be pretty tender. Still, when I'm out I tend to go crazy, and I almost always shoot the biggest one I can. I figure if the meat's too tough it can always go through the grinder.

I generally put the leg quarters on my electric smoker for about six hours, and they come out tender enough for me.

Keep after 'em !!
--