Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

2 Down Again

Old 05-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default 2 Down Again

Went back to my brothers club at the swamp spot. Got 2 more Hogs. My brother got the bigger red boar (140lbs) @6pm. I got mine right after the feeder went off @630pm. Both dropped in tracks.
Attached Thumbnails 2 Down Again-img_0070.jpg  
Old 05-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal! looks like some good eating.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Everyone goes home happy, but the hogs.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's the perfect eating size, they don't get better as they get bigger.

Big old Boars can be poor fare, depending on what they have been eating and whether it is rutting season or not.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rutting season? Uh Mudder? There is no rutting season really with Hogs. It's one of the main reasons they are so hard to control in population. They breed often throughout the year.

But you are dead on correct about the age. A Boar in general doesn't taste all that great. Not like a good sow. But a big old boar is pretty rank.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

These hogs eat pretty good. The sorrounding farms provide whatever is in season and then we provide corn with the feeder. The boar in picture had really really white fat and it was probably an inch and a half thick.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been Hog hunting in the Jacksonville area, but likely way before you were born . I've got a lot of kin in the Jacksonville area.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-11-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Rutting season? Uh Mudder? There is no rutting season really with Hogs. It's one of the main reasons they are so hard to control in population. They breed often throughout the year.

But you are dead on correct about the age. A Boar in general doesn't taste all that great. Not like a good sow. But a big old boar is pretty rank.
I'm used to dealing with the true Wild Boar and not hybrids. The real deal usually mates after the first few hard frosts. The hybrids can mate and litter anytime. I forget sometimes.

I've often wondered if the taste they pick up in late Fall/winter is from the rut or eating Acorns. Maybe both.

I usually fill up the freezer in the Fall, just about harvest time, you know they have been eating good.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-11-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Good eating.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I'm used to dealing with the true Wild Boar and not hybrids. The real deal usually mates after the first few hard frosts. The hybrids can mate and litter anytime. I forget sometimes.

I've often wondered if the taste they pick up in late Fall/winter is from the rut or eating Acorns. Maybe both.

I usually fill up the freezer in the Fall, just about harvest time, you know they have been eating good.
Yep, them are few and far between here in the States. I still want to crack a nice 150 pounder thats been feeding up on Oranges for a month or 2! Someone in Florida that has friends in the "Groves" that wants some hog killing done gimmi a dang holler!. I'll get my handy dandy wheel chair a rollin! (Dang busted up knee is pi$$ing me off missing my hog huntin!)