Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Axis deer

Old 04-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Spike

Default Axis deer

I have read of places in Florida offering axis hunts. I was wondering if there has been any reports of free range axis as a result of axis escaping the high fence?
Old 04-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Cief, since Axis deer are not an indigenous species for one and for 2 there wouldn't have really been enough "escapes" for them to have established a "huntable" population outside of the "ranches".

If you wan't a "free range" experience, even though it is considered High Fence, there are many places in Texas that offer Axis deer and the properties are 1000 acres or more. I don't know if you have ever hunted on a 1000 acre property or not but it is about as free range as you can get. Especially in Texas where everything there either bites, cuts, pokes, sticks, or in general pisses you off. Most of the properties in Florida are fairly small and most, with ethics anyway, would consider them to be "canned" hunts. Not saying "ALL" but most.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Spike

Thanks! I have hunted axis in Texas and have been blessed with taking one free range about a year ago. It was a memorable experience. Some think axis will out number WT deer in Texas some day. It is delicious table fair..
Old 04-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

So is Fallow deer, In my humble opinion it is even better than Axis. A nice fat Fallow doe is about the most succulent venison on the planet.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:36 AM
Spike

I have not eaten Fallow nor hunted them. There is a man here in Ohio that keeps a small herd. I have never sought him out though.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
So is Fallow deer, In my humble opinion it is even better than Axis. A nice fat Fallow doe is about the most succulent venison on the planet.
My axis was thought to be 6+ years old which might change the taste/texture. I have not eaten young axis doe but would like to try!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

As a general rule Chief, females from pretty much all edible mammals are going to have better flavor as well as more tender. From rabbit to moose.

And yep that's getting long in the tooth for an Axis deer. They really start falling off at 7, pretty much like a whitetail. If I nail a whitetail older than 4 I already have it planned beforehand to ready the meat grinder cuzz that's all that deer is going to be fit for. CHILI and stew meat.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is absolute nonsense! I have killed and eaten several deer, doe, over 200 lbs live weight and older than 4 yo and they were every bit as good as a 2 yo doe. I am talking about whitetails. You grind them up, I will enjoy the fillets and the fish and the steaks.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oldtimer, I meant a Buck older than 4 not a Doe. Heck I look for the biggest Doe in the group. Age really doesn't seem to matter much with them as far as flavor and tenderness. Of course the meat is a little tougher on the old girls but not the same as it is on a Buck.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do the same. Hang the sinned halves in a walkin for a week before you cut it up, you will find it tender.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.