Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Baiting

Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hog Baiting

I know people of their own hog recipes when they bait. What are some good things to try. Looking for something new to try out.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grape kool aid powder sprinkled over corn is a good hog bait. I have seen holes 3 feet deep where hogs have dug out where grape bait has been used. There are commercial grape bait powder baits available as well in bigger containers than kool aid.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Spike

I've found that anything sweet mixed with the corn to work really well. Also, if you have access to any citrus groves the reject stuff that falls on the ground works really well also. Usually they give the stuff away if you'll haul it off.

Bob
Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

I made 2 different buckets a little more than half full of corn and filled about a inch over the corn With water.
In bucket one
2 packs of Walmart orange flavor jello
1 bottle of orange flavored water

In bucket two
Walmart brand apple flavor drink mix. The packets ended up being like one jello pack.
2 bottles of Angry Orchard

This stuff smells so good right now. To bad it won't get to the woods until Friday Evening before the hunt.

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 02-08-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

You probably don't want your corn soaking in water, it will ferment. All you have to do is sprinkle the kool aid powder on the corn.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You probably don't want your corn soaking in water, it will ferment. All you have to do is sprinkle the kool aid powder on the corn.
Fermenting corn is a great way to bring hogs in and along with the koolaid trick is almost like money in the bank for hogs!
Old 02-16-2015, 12:25 AM
Typical Buck

So it seems that the Hogs do not like the corn or something is going on. Had hogs for the past week at the same time at the feeder and hunted this weekend and nothing. Hogs didn't even come in. I'm puzzled?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hogs migrate a lot. I've seen them stay on a place for 3 or 4 weeks then move on and then sometimes the only stay around for a couple of days. They do tend to come back fairly regularly though. Now if you have something like a timed feeder station you can get them to hang around for a long time.

Quick note to the guy not wanting to let the corn ferment, Hogs LOVE fermented ANYTHING. You could end up with some seriously alcoholic hogs if not careful
Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

They guy who's property I just aquired permission to hunt this year is going to try corn and some apple flavored deer attractant. Its a red powder stuff. Kinda reminds me of deer cocaine, just red and apple. He said the same thing about sweet flavor and has tried soaking corn with water. Has done corn with beer. Corn with water and molasses. He said that they seem to hit it all at one point time or another. Just some they take to faster than others. I tend to agree with the home range roaming concept more than the attraction of the bait. They are hogs!!! They eat anything!!!!!
Hell, in Can. we baited bears with popcorn, syrup, and melted marshmellows with a candy bar or 2 thrown in for a kicker!!!!!!! Who would have thought!!!!!! It tasted pretty good also!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Hogs migrate a lot. I've seen them stay on a place for 3 or 4 weeks then move on and then sometimes the only stay around for a couple of days. They do tend to come back fairly regularly though. Now if you have something like a timed feeder station you can get them to hang around for a long time.

Quick note to the guy not wanting to let the corn ferment, Hogs LOVE fermented ANYTHING. You could end up with some seriously alcoholic hogs if not careful
Just like hunting deer in an apple orchard. don't seem quite fair hunting drunk deer!!!!!! We have seen them acting goofy after eating apples off the ground. Act just like they are drunk!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.