Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hogs

Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Spike

Default Hogs

Hey guys, new to the forum and hunting. I have always wanted to go just never knew of anyone going or had a place to go, until recently, I heard that there were a lot of hogs out at my property that I own but do not live at. I was reading on one of the threads that said 30-06 was good to use, but is there a season per say to hunt them like deer and quail, or can I go out there at anytime. what type of license do I need, just a hunting one or what. any info would be helpful. thanks
Old 02-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the forum from the great state of Tennessee! As far as hog hunting goes, it would help a lot to know what state your property is in, as far as what the hunting regs might be. Where in most places wild hogs are normally "open" game during most all hunting seasons, my home state of Tn is not like that.

In some states they are open 24/7/365 and all that's required is to have a small game license. In other states, a big game license. In many states, no license is required to hunt on your own land, provided you still follow hunting regs.

As far as how to hunt hogs, finding fresh sign is key to finding hogs. It is very typical to also bait for hogs using corn (for example) to draw them in to areas you wish to hunt. As hogs get hunted and pressured, they also tend to become more active at night and less so during daylight hours. Hogs have good ears and an excellent sense of smell, better than a deer's. The rifle you mentioned, a 30/06, is a very good choice especially if there might be some large boars in your area. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Spike

I live in Texas, around the Dallas area. So what all rifles aregood to use when hunting them.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Spike

Well sir, you live in the greatest state in America! As for guns, anything you use for deer will work just fine. Keep this in mind though, gun power is overrated and shot placement is underrated. There are gonna be guys who claim pigs are tougher than steel and nothing less than a 308 will kill them. Those guys are liars. I killed a 150 plus pig at close to 175 yards with a 22 mag. Given I hit the wrong pig, shot placement was beautiful. The unfortunate guy just happened to be standing below the one I was aiming for haha. He piled up 60 yards out with no blood trail. I wasn't worried about recovering the pig, so any lethal body shot was ok with me. I just happened to hit him right behind the shoulder when his leg was forward. Luck was on my side for sure. In the wonderful state of Texas all you need is a hunting license, unless you see the pigs in the act of destroying you're crops, then you can shoot them on the spot with no license.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

A .30-06 with any hunting round will work fine. You don't need premium bullets. I'd recommend something in the 150-165 grain weight. 00possum is correct about the license requirements in Texas.

You might want to read this article about where to put your shot:
http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbigg...toshoothog.htm
Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Spike

Check out pigmantv.com Then go to media and click on whatever season you want to watch. Season 2 is my favorite. He kills pigs for a living, I'll warn you though, as his seasons progress his arrogance and accent become a little much. Even with that its still my favorite show, and he does most of it with the same kind of stuff the everyday guy uses.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Spike

so what would be best, having a blind up in a tree or the ones that are on the ground. And would it matter if it is wood or the material type.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tcjhkbjt
so what would be best, having a blind up in a tree or the ones that are on the ground. And would it matter if it is wood or the material type.
As a hog's sense of smell is even better than a deer's, I'd suggest trying a tree stand. They also are unable to look up at very sharp angles and even though they can see colors, their overall vision is not really sharp so you can get away with some movement in a tree stand.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tnhunter444
As a hog's sense of smell is even better than a deer's, I'd suggest trying a tree stand. They also are unable to look up at very sharp angles and even though they can see colors, their overall vision is not really sharp so you can get away with some movement in a tree stand.
Agreed. Smell is really the only thing that'll get you, and you're not going to beat it. The best thing I've found is getting a really smelly bait sight. Lots of jello and koolaid powder then soured corn. Scent control doesn't hurt either.