Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
new to hog hunting help please >

new to hog hunting help please

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

new to hog hunting help please

Old 12-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Spike

Default new to hog hunting help please

so ive been hunting before then stooped due to where i lived and not having time do to my job but now i live in a good place in texas and have time so my question is i want to hog hunt the place i go to is messed up hard core ruts everywhere but never seen any hogs and the family member has sen them and has tried trapping them any advice on what i should do to get my first hog?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I'd suggest you look for the freshest sign in the area and then start baiting for them having a good stand location in mind. I'd figure it's legal to hunt hogs in Texas 24/7, so you also might look into getting a light such as a "Wicked Light" to attach to your rifle so you can also get a shot after full dark.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/wick...ger-w400mmgrn/
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Watch the water holes, ponds and wallows in early morning and late afternoon. This can be very productive, especially in dry weather.

Last edited by falcon; 12-19-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Spike

Ya I was going to buy a spot light but I didn't know if that would spook them or not and thanks for the advice on the water holo there's a stock pond with some good ruts around it I'll bait both sites and see how it goes and eventually buy some cameras and some auto feeders when I get some and sell some of the meat to some friends and all that jazz thank y'all for the help
Old 12-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Spike

and would a normal spot light work or do i need like a red blue or green lens so it doesnt spook them cuz i dont have that kind of money right now haha
Old 12-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1shot1kill R.A.B.
and would a normal spot light work or do i need like a red blue or green lens so it doesnt spook them cuz i dont have that kind of money right now haha
There are lesser priced alternatives. A white light would likely work, just not as well. You could use tape or velcro to attach a powerful LED flashlight to your rifle's barrel, leaving it off until game is seen or heard. The muted green & red tones do not seem to spook them nearly as much as white light especially when moved slowly into position rather then turning it on already aimed at the hogs (we turn the light on and move it slowly downward onto the target)

You can also try using inexpensive stick-on battery powered LED lights above where you bait. Perhaps attach one to a line hung from a tree limb. They can also be found in colored LEDs and cost <$10.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Spike

Thank you tnhunter for all the advice I'll be going in about a week hopefully I come back with a score all I'll put pics up of the kill if I don't get a hog were going for rabbit as well let's hope I get something to eat.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Spike

There's an exception to anything, and we had one hog that wouldn't come near the feeder with green light on. Any increase in the level of light and it would take off. That said, most of them aren't that sensitive to green. We've had no luck at all with white light. Probably depends on how much they've been hunted.

As far as lights go, the cheapest solution we used was solar yard spotlights that came on at dark. A green plastic cover on the lens worked OK, but cheap lights have cheap batteries, which equals low battery life. Another option we used for a long time was an outdoor light with a solar panel and a motion sensor, again with a green lens cover. Neither of those provide the light of a feeder mounted light, but we did kill hogs with them.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 1shot1kill R.A.B.
Thank you tnhunter for all the advice I'll be going in about a week hopefully I come back with a score all I'll put pics up of the kill if I don't get a hog were going for rabbit as well let's hope I get something to eat.
Good Luck & I hope you take one bigger than this one that one of our group took this past Jan.
Attached Thumbnails new to hog hunting help please-hog-2013.jpg   new to hog hunting help please-hog-2013-2.jpg  

Last edited by Tnhunter444; 12-23-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Spike

I hope i get one in general

And the hogs on the land havent been hunted whats so ever the famil member is old and has cattle hes tried trapping but his trap is to.small so he as me amd my brother inlaw to come amd our shooting skill which im pretty good at its just i need help on the huntimg hogs part haha i think im goimg to try a white led light amd have some colored lenses just incase amd bait the crap out of the are for a night and just sit and wait i really appreciate all the.advice never been on a forum before and so far its better the.google lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.