Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Wild pigs in N California or Nevada >

Wild pigs in N California or Nevada

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Wild pigs in N California or Nevada

Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 AM
Spike

Default Wild pigs in N California or Nevada

Hi guys,
I am going to be in N California (near Lake Tahoe) and was wandering if anyone can suggest a good place to hunt wild pigs in Sacramento, CA area or perhaps Reno, Nevada ...

Thank you all,

IL
Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Spike

There are no pigs in Reno or Sacramento. Your closest bet from Tahoe would probably be the Redding area. You can find all of the public land available on the CA fish and game website. I can tell you now that public land hog hunting in CA is very tough. If your looking for a decent chance to put some meat in the freezer I would recommend looking into using a guide.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Ditto on the guide and especially if you're limited on time. Most guides have access to private ranches with reduced hunting pressure and good pig populations. Some guides use dogs and others are spot and stalk so you should be able to find the kind of hunt you want.

Edit--I should have added that DFG has a website which tends to show which counties have the most success in pig hunting. In general, there's some pig hunting up by Red Bluff/Redding in the North end of the state. For reference, Red Bluff is almost 4 hours from Tahoe or about 2 hours from Sacramento.

The pigs up north tend to be smaller pigs but good eating. If you want bigger pigs and more pigs to hunt, go to Central California. With a guide, you are almost guaranteed to get a pig on a 1-day hunt. Hopefully this helps some.

Last edited by CalHunter; 06-19-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blondemallard
There are no pigs in Reno or Sacramento.
/////////
Old 06-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Spike

Wild pigs are really difficult to hunt as they are fast, big and quite dangerous..they can easily knock down a full grown up man without much effort..so i'd suggest you to stay safe and keep distance from them
Old 06-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Fork Horn

Ive heard the military bases around there have good pig hunting
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ive heard the military bases around there have good pig hunting
Some of the best public land hog hunting in CA is on Camp Roberts and Fort Hunter Liggett.