Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

We finally met

Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Spike

destructive is correct, they tear up roads, trails, food plots, they eat every acorn, I don't mean they eat a lot of acorns, I mean they get them all. They turn the feeders over, bend the legs, it's like they get mad if your feeder runs out of corn, they start trying to bang it around to get more out. We have 4 feeders for my wife and I. Everyone has been turnover. We have a pile of bent legs. They are very smart. They have poor eye sight but excellent hearing and a SUPER nose. They are built like tanks with a smaller than deer vital area. The boars develope sheilds of 2" thick or more grizzle to protect them from fighting. Look at the scars on this ole fellar. Thier cutters grow to 3" outside the gum or more and are litterly razor sharp. I LOVE hunting them. It's open year round with no limits.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice hog!!! None of those in the pics would I pass up!!! Mighty fine Q'n material standing there!!!!!!!! That more rust red one would look good with a green Luma-Nock shining on his ribs and a GrimReaper leadn the way!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Spike

Awesome piggy wiggy!! I love hunting hogs! Congrats on taking another destructive devil out!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have problems with them at the table, smelling musky or tasting gamy?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Do you have problems with them at the table, smelling musky or tasting gamy?
Some of the much larger hogs/boars arent worth keeping because they can be really tough but otherwise if you quarter them up, get them on ice you should be good to go. Bleeding them out on ice can easily remove any game taste you might get.

I am so used to eating wild game that it rarely tastes gamey to me.

Another trick is soaking the meat in milk & egg mixture for a little while before cooking it...that definitely helps too...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CamoCandaceQOC
Some of the much larger hogs/boars arent worth keeping because they can be really tough but otherwise if you quarter them up, get them on ice you should be good to go. Bleeding them out on ice can easily remove any game taste you might get.

I am so used to eating wild game that it rarely tastes gamey to me.

Another trick is soaking the meat in milk & egg mixture for a little while before cooking it...that definitely helps too...
gut and bleed them out right away or as soon as possible helps with the gamie taste too...but Ive gotten used to it unless its been eating sagebrush it all tastes good to me...I have yet to kill a hog or at least confirmed kill...Its gonna be bad when they get to Idaho...
Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Spike

Most are fine to eat. Sows are just as good as pork you buy in the grocery store. Occasionally you will find a boar that is rank. You will know it as soon as you get close to it especially down wind. There is not much you can do about it. It has abosultely nothing to do with how the meat is handled or processed, it just plain stinks to high heaven as soon as you walk up to it. We have killed 3 that were rank out of maybe 50 or so. They are not necessarily the biggest boars either. The last one I killed was 220# and was just fine with no odor at all. The ones we have killed that were rank were a 155#, 175# & 275#. We have killed many boars from 150# to 200# that were fine eating. If you do kill a rank boar and handle it without gloves, you will have a heck of a time getting the smell off your hands, I know.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Spike

They tear up thousands of acres a year. We were out scouting for Turkey yesterday and found a ridge totally destroyed. Love to kill them.