Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Stalking Vs Tree stand

Old 01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Spike

Had a good hunt yesterday. I did not put my camera up as I came across another hunter who said his two cameras and his tree stand were stolen. He even had them chained and padlocked to the trees. Pretty sad…
So I hiked and hunted. Saw a lot of sign, some very fresh, but in the end had to settle on elk steaks from the freezer for dinner as the pigs were victorious today.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Keep at em once you figure out there pattern you will be laying waste!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Spike

I hunt a lot of hogs in Texas, mostly with a bow and either way is good. I prefer to stalk, especially at night, because its just more fun.

If you are going to stalk you MUST have the right wind. Wind in your face, your in the right place. Without that you are done before you start.

Second, when you are walking try to almost march - if you shuffle your feet they will be gone...most places in Texas have cattle and marching makes you sound like a cow which pigs get used to.

It also depends on the time you are stalking them. Full moon and warmer weather sends them nockturnal and you will be hunting them at night for any success. They don't have great vision so use that to your advantage but they do have amazing sense of smell.

If you can bait, do that. We like to 'corn the roads' in the evening and then walk them in the night time - you can see them from pretty far away and stalk up on them

Also use red or green lights, never white lights. They will charge white lights. Red is preferable - its not so much the light that spooks them but the shadows it creates and freaks them out.

Good Luck!! Its a blast!!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

For what it's worth. I hunt hogs in Mayo Fl and this is what works for us. There is no one size fits all. I use feeders and have had luck using them. Sometimes I've seen the hogs walk right by them. One technique my son uses that works well. He walks the roads looking for fresh tracks or fresh rootings. He slowly snakes his was thru the woods preferably by some water. Every once in a while he sits under a tree and just listens. Hogs seem mostly vocal in the evening. But what he does hear is them splashing in the water. Then he stalks up on them. He's taken 8 hogs this year doing that. Once he took 3 hogs with in 15 mins during bow season.