Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
000 buckshot recommendation for hogs >

000 buckshot recommendation for hogs

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

000 buckshot recommendation for hogs

Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Spike

Default 000 buckshot recommendation for hogs

Hello all, new member of the forum here, after browsing many interesting topics/posts over the past two years or so as a guest. I plan to do some hog hunting in North FL with my H&R singleshot shotgun. It has a 32 inch barrel with a fixed full choke. Been using a shotgun for deer off and on all my life and had good results after doing extensive patterning, buckshot size, trying different chokes, and most of all keeping a range of 40 yds or under. That being said here is my dilema, I have no experience on hunting hogs with buckshot. I've tried patterning both Remington and Federal 2 3/4 000 buck with not such luck other that 25 yards or so. The pattern is like 18-20 inches with alot of gaps in it. I don't want to use a smaller size because I know some of the bigger hogs can be extremely tough to penetrate deep enough to make a kill shot. Any help on this and possibly a different brand/size of 000 that might work with this particular gun? Thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote in T shot. It is heavier than lead and at close range it is REALLY deadly on yotes, blows through them like they are made of cardboard. I have shot hogs with 00 Buck and slugs but not with the DC. I feel that it will take care of what you need. If nothing else, back it up with 00 or 000 buck and you make your own conclusion!!! Let us know back.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Spike

I will, appreciate the tips! I am one day going to try some hevishot 00 buckshot out on the patterning board, it seems like some inivated stuff.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know its bad juju on the 'yotes!!!!!!! I use the regular Hevi-Shot on geese and they REALLY don't like it!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i might lean more toward a slug. dont have to worry bout tearing up the meat as bad as multiple projectiles would. dbl lungers or base of the neck will sure get the job done.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Spike

Been really out target shooting with various 12 gauges and really like the defense slug/buckshot round made by Winchester. At 50 yards I know with 2 of my shotguns that I can hit a grapefuit size object. Now the 3 buckshot in the round at 50 yards is around 16 inches out not too shabby. Anyone try any of these Winchester PDX1 12's?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Spike

But failed to mention these are slower velocity rounds only 1150 fps. Penetration of the one ounce slug might be lacking on a boar's shoulder armor at 50 yards, what yall think?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by smokepole70
But failed to mention these are slower velocity rounds only 1150 fps. Penetration of the one ounce slug might be lacking on a boar's shoulder armor at 50 yards, what yall think?
Take a look at the regular one ounce slug box and you will find that they are normally 1500-1700 fps. They are more than ample for any hog on the planet. Just be sure to aim just behind the gristle plate towards the opposite shoulder and its fresh chops on the barby that night!!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Spike

How have you been doing SecondChance? Thanks for the heads up on the velocity of my new found love, I never thought I'd ever say anything good about rifled slugs in a smoothbore but these are unbelievable but are pricey.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by smokepole70
How have you been doing SecondChance? Thanks for the heads up on the velocity of my new found love, I never thought I'd ever say anything good about rifled slugs in a smoothbore but these are unbelievable but are pricey.
Been hangin round , how bout yourself? Pricey? They are REALLY cheap compared to the sabot slugs out there!!!! You can pick up a 10 pack of Remington or Winchester Punkin ball slugs for around $1 apiece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.