Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

NC hog hunt what slug gun

Old 12-05-2011, 04:15 AM
Spike

Default NC hog hunt what slug gun

My husband & I booked our 1st ever hog hunt for Feb2012. We plan on using bows, my husband is taking his slug gun as back up. I have a Remington 1187 with screw in chokes. What choke or slug would work for hogs?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

I'd go with a 1oz slug or even buckshot if he's going to use it as "backup" I'm thinking he wants it incase a hog charges?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Spike

Not so much for charging hog, but if after a few days tags aren't full, want to reach out past bow range.
I actually don't even know what my husbands slug gun is, it has a scope on it & he's killed lots of deer with it.
I generally have gotten away from gun hunting deer & prefer to use my bow.
Just thinking, if he's bringing a back up maybe I should too. But don't want to go buy another gun. I have a bitchen' o/u Ruger 20 gauge for bird hunting. The 1187 is a 12G I use for deer, but with buckshot.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Spike

For "backup" I would use something that can get a lot of rounds off fast in case you get a charger.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

You can probably tweak either of your shotguns to shoot slugs, but I'd experiment first. Or else borrow hubby's gun. I wouldn't try shooting at a hog with buckshot unless it was within 20 yards, it's hard enough to drop a deer with it.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

We shoot buckshot all year round for hogs and deer. Slugs are rough on smooth bore shotguns especially when your trying to find one that works best and target practicing. It's all about shot placement. You guys that are talking about hogs charging have been watching too much tv.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys that are talking about hogs charging have been watching too much tv.

Well put.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alpine_Archer
We shoot buckshot all year round for hogs and deer. Slugs are rough on smooth bore shotguns especially when your trying to find one that works best and target practicing. It's all about shot placement. You guys that are talking about hogs charging have been watching too much tv.

How many are you losing each year shooting buckshot? Get good with a slug gun, and you'll never look back.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

None the swamp is WAY to thick to use a slug. When your hunting in 10ft palmettos and dense cypress swamps buckshot is the way to go. to each his own I guess. I'd rather carry a rifle than a slug any day and buckshot over both.