Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Bullets for TX Boar use with .280 Rem and 7RM. >

Bullets for TX Boar use with .280 Rem and 7RM.

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Bullets for TX Boar use with .280 Rem and 7RM.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Spike

Default Bullets for TX Boar use with .280 Rem and 7RM.

Headed to TX next month to hunt with a buddy. I've never hunted hogs, as we don't yet have them in numbers here in Ohio. I have a .280 XBolt and 7RM Ruger Hawkeye that my brother and I were planning to use. Hornady Interlock 162gr. BTSP's shoot very well out of both rifles, and I have quite a few of them around. Does anyone have experience with these on Hogs, or at least with something similar? I'm just wondering if they're stout enough, as I've heard that big hogs are tough. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Both of those guns are more than enough for a hog. I have killed one with a 30-06 but we have killed several with a .223 so a .280 and 7 mag will both lay them down just fine.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Spike

Ok thank you very much! That bullet choice will be good as well? Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to load up some Partitions or TSX's or something.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL if yer tryin to gut em and skin em all in one shot..total pun...then those will be fine. we use 22-250's and 223's with 45-69g bullets. i would suggest double lungers with no shoulder penetration with such a large round or ya might destroy more meat than you keep. have a good time.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Both of those rifles are quite adequate. I generally use a .30 caliber. The distance you may have to shoot will depend upon where you're hunting, brush or open country. Either way you'll be okay with the firearms you have.