Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

article about hog caliber

Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Spike

I hunt at night with lights so I go for the big caliber so I don't have to chase them,but I have killed the most hogs with a 223 mini 14 that I used to carry on my ranch didn't care if they went down right then or not.I use a ar 10 308 or a thompson encore 45/70 thats loud muzzle brake. I love the night time hog hunting. Chuck
Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Spike

I hunt at night with lights so I go for the big caliber so I don't have to chase them,but I have killed the most hogs with a 223 mini 14 that I used to carry on my ranch didn't care if they went down right then or not.I use a ar 10 308 or a thompson encore 45/70 thats loud muzzle brake. I love the night time hog hunting. Chuck
Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
we use a 223 or 22-250 all day long,45-55g...they drop in their tracks....seems like maybe these guys are not eating the meat, cause a 30-06/30-30 leave silver dollar size holes and 4" circles of,imo, uneatable meat.
i am understanding we have 5 million hogs here in texas
all those hungry people could be eating the ones that get left behind....
could ya imagine the look on all those kids' faces that have flies walking around on their face, and in their mouth, and on their eyeballs, with their big pudgy bellies that are only that way because of lack of food....over in africa......if 5 million pigs showed up. anyway, quit lettin em lay, and donate them to a good cause.
I also agree!........have also taken them with .243 and .30-30
Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zaboo
where do you aim for a clean headshot
You will get different opinions on this: here's mine --

Head shots are low percentage unless you're close and a very good shot. Hogs have small brains and it's a hard target to hit consistently. A better option is to aim for the neck. I like to draw an imaginary line between the ear and shoulder and aim halfway between the two end points.

If that's not feasible, I imagine a line running straight up the front leg, and aim along that line about one-third of the way up the body.

Someone else once commented that it's hard to shoot a hog too low or too far forward. I tend to agree with that philosophy.

Other folks will have other thoughts on this subject, and their practices obviously work well for them. I'm just not good enough as a shooter to try for the brain.
--
Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by der Teufel
You will get different opinions on this: here's mine --

Head shots are low percentage unless you're close and a very good shot. Hogs have small brains and it's a hard target to hit consistently. A better option is to aim for the neck. I like to draw an imaginary line between the ear and shoulder and aim halfway between the two end points.

If that's not feasible, I imagine a line running straight up the front leg, and aim along that line about one-third of the way up the body.

Someone else once commented that it's hard to shoot a hog too low or too far forward. I tend to agree with that philosophy.

Other folks will have other thoughts on this subject, and their practices obviously work well for them. I'm just not good enough as a shooter to try for the brain.
--
no, the resaon i ask is it seems to be real popular and i was wondering where physicaly is the brain. i do understand your point and most people should not take a headshot
Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

"the author promotes the 3006 3030 and 35 calibers in this artice." Zaboo

..............and why not !?!?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zaboo
no, the resaon i ask is it seems to be real popular and i was wondering where physicaly is the brain. i do understand your point and most people should not take a headshot
Okay, then let me try to more directly answer your query. The best and quickest way for me to do that is to refer you to another source.

My #1 suggestion would be to read the thread and view photos posted here. Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to post # 722:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...449721&page=29

This shows a hog's skull cut into sections so you can see the brain cavity. I found it to be informative. Hopefully you'll feel likewise.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

i stopped shooting hogs in the head; it's heart and lung shots for me. IMO: The animal does not bleed out when shot in the head.