Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Hunting Questions

Old 09-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hog Hunting Questions

I had this in the wrong forum so moved it.....

I've been reading some of the info on hog hunts (Tennessee) and it sounds like fun. These are using dogs.

Has anyone gone on one and how does it work? I would like to use a rifle. Do these things rocket by you so fast you have seconds to react and shoot or do you get to aim? (I'm old and slow).

In any case I'd appreciate some info from those with experience since this seems to be the most reasonably affordable hunt I can find.

I've hunted whitetail for over 40 years and mule deer but that's about it. I'm an excellent shot if I can have a tree or branch to rest on but not a good offhand shooter. I don't know if this is important or not for hog hunting but I'm laying it out there.

Thanks!

Jerry
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

From everything that I have heard or read about hunting hogs with dogs I get the basic idea of you turn the dogs loose, they smell and track down the pig, they catch/corner the pig, and then you come in with a knife or rifle and then finish the pig off while the dogs are restraining it. After watching a few videos of hunting with dogs I have come to the conclusion that sometime in the future I am going to go on one of these hunts or get me some of my own dogs because it looks like a blast. Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

People usualy run two types of dogs catch dogs and bay dogs... Usualy(well the way its done down here) you let out your bay dogs and get them on a trail of a hog. Once the dogs have a pig bayed you let out your catch dog and let it do its work. Most of the time a knife is used to dispatch the hog but some people mostly ones not used to dog hunting use a gun.

I'd much rather sit in a stand or walk the swamps and hog hunt then running after a dog whos running after a pig in some nasty swamp. to each his own though...
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Spike

Yeah, running em with dogs is a lot of work, we mostly spot and stalk em here. But yeah, you will shoot them when they are bayed, not while they are being chased.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Alpine_Archer
People usually run two types of dogs catch dogs and bay dogs... Usually (well the way its done down here) you let out your bay dogs and get them on a trail of a hog. Once the dogs have a pig bayed you let out your catch dog and let it do its work. Most of the time a knife is used to dispatch the hog but some people mostly ones not used to dog hunting use a gun.

I'd much rather sit in a stand or walk the swamps and hog hunt then running after a dog whos running after a pig in some nasty swamp. to each his own though...
I think this is pretty accurate, although some folks use bay dogs only and then shoot the hogs once the bay dogs corner the hogs. See this video for an example of that process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygswl5S0TVI
Note that these guys have GPS collars on their dogs. It can be a lot of work getting to the hogs, and also dragging them out to a spot where they can then be loaded and hauled off. Still, if I were 20 years younger (I'm retired) I'd be interested.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

So a 64 year old with sarcoidosis and diabetes would be crapped out doing this? There are some adds that say they use blinds. Blinds and dogs?

http://www.tnboar.com/index.php
Old 09-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

From the websites description it sounds like they prefer to dog hunt but will put you up in a blind if thats what youd rather have. Running after dogs is usualy alot of work.

I'm not fmailiar with the land up there but down here its tough hunting and dogs dont mind going into the deepest darkest stuff around.

Good luck on the hunt whatever you decide to do...
Old 09-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Spike

Is it that you specifically want to hunt them with dogs or it doesn't matter how, you just want to hunt them?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds like they stick you in a blind and still get use dogs. If I have to run through the thick woods I am going to die! Seriously. I am going to ask them for more info. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by warbirdlover; 09-11-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

If your in a blind there is no way your going to have dogs running them. simple as that. dogs arnt smart enough to do that and hogs are just going to scatter once the dogs get on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.