HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Hog Doggin Knife Help!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/341546-hog-doggin-knife-help.html)

okboarhunter 03-08-2011 02:42 AM

Hog Doggin Knife Help!!

Hey,

I ve been gettin started in the "hog doggin'" business and was wonderin what is a good knife to kill a hog with?

Found a Cold Steel but cant find any reviews from hunters view jus reviews on how knife felt and how it sharpens, Anyways any suggestion would be appreciated.

Would like to spend $150 and less

Thanks, Dustin

Rebel Hog 03-08-2011 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by okboarhunter (Post 3783601)
Hey,

I ve been gettin started in the "hog doggin'" business and was wonderin what is a good knife to kill a hog with?

Found a Cold Steel but cant find any reviews from hunters view jus reviews on how knife felt and how it sharpens, Anyways any suggestion would be appreciated.

Would like to spend $150 and less

Thanks, Dustin

Just a regular butchers Boning Knife.....

hoghunter59 03-08-2011 06:25 AM

"ole hickory" butcher knife,

okboarhunter 03-08-2011 06:37 AM

Thanks guys...

I figured anything long and sharp would be fine, just didnt know if anyone had suggestions on a brand of knife they liked. Just recently had all guns stole so a good knife will have to do for now.

SecondChance 03-10-2011 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by okboarhunter (Post 3783672)
Thanks guys...

I figured anything long and sharp would be fine, just didnt know if anyone had suggestions on a brand of knife they liked. Just recently had all guns stole so a good knife will have to do for now.

I just used a Buck with a 6" blade. Worked just fine. Its in my pics of "Great time in OK!!!" on this site. I can't remember what the name of it is, just that it is made by Buck.

bharv 03-11-2011 06:55 PM

If i was to hunt hogs with a knife i would deffinitly use the Baconmaker by Ka-bar

The Rev 03-12-2011 08:08 AM

I have custom made some hog knives. I haven't made any knives this year (too busy with work), but I think the first knife I make this year will be a hog knife.

I like the blades to be at least 12 inches.

Cam Fan 03-19-2011 04:58 PM

I use a sog spirit. The handel is removable and I have a telescopic paint pole I can put it on. If the hog is big I may want the extra distance. :confused0024:

Planter 03-21-2011 09:59 AM

Get yourself a nice cheap "overground" Dexter butchers knife. Most resturants use a sharpening service and when the knives get ground down/sharpened too many times the sharpening company pretty much gives them away.

I use them for butchering as well as for my bait knives. Can't say I've manned up enought to use them on a hog but WHEN the pigs reach Taxachusetts I'm gonna.

Lots of steel left on them but the blade ends up being pretty narrow. I would say $10.00 bucks at the most would get you a fine pig killing knife and you will probably buy more cause they have a ton of uses and you can get boning,buthcher,and french knives.:)