Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
winchester PDX1 12 gauge for hogs? >

winchester PDX1 12 gauge for hogs?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

winchester PDX1 12 gauge for hogs?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default winchester PDX1 12 gauge for hogs?

I got some winchester PDX1's at walmart for a good price. They were out of buckshot so I was wandering if these things would work for close quarter hog hunting. I'm hunting down here in FL where its super thick and most of the shots are fairly close.

Anyone have any experiance using this load on hogs or deer???

http://www.winchester.com/Products/N...s/pdx1-12.aspx
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Alpine_Archer
I got some winchester PDX1's at walmart for a good price. They were out of buckshot so I was wandering if these things would work for close quarter hog hunting. I'm hunting down here in FL where its super thick and most of the shots are fairly close.

Anyone have any experiance using this load on hogs or deer???

http://www.winchester.com/Products/N...s/pdx1-12.aspx
I would never use Buck Shot on hogs.......Any slug would be a better choice....I use Winchester BRI sabots with rifle barrel or Federal slugs with smooth barrel..
Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

I've killed hogs with buckshot but since I don't have any...

I wanted to know more about the PDX1 load and it's effectivness on hogs and other game.

Last edited by Alpine_Archer; 02-09-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

Yep!!!!! @ close range a shot gun takes no prisioners. Jim
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say with it being a duplex load and you took some time and saw how it patterned/performened in your weapon at short distances, 25 yds or so, and go from there. You have both the slug and the 00 buck pellets.
Problem being, they were designed with home defense in mind. Not taking game at extended ranges. You do not how those pellets ahead of that slug will disrupt its flight path out at any kind of extended distances. Something to try out one day and let your results tell you.
My guess is if it performs well out of your weapon and shoots straight and true, it could be a pretty mean laod at short distances creating multiple would channels and colateral damages resulting in short, if any, tracking jobs. Could be a great back up load after a slug as well.