Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

are hogs difficult?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Spike

Default are hogs difficult?

hey guys just wondering are hogs a difficult hunt compared to other game? Im really wanting to hunt a hog but dont want to rush into blind waters, and im wondering if id be better off starting with different game for a season and then moving onto bigger stuff like hogs...

Dont wanna waste 500 plus bux to have a guide take me out if im not gonna know what im doing....gonna get my rifle in a couple weeks, and thinking maybe i should just go to the public lands for a season and shoot some squirell/rabbits....

any thoughts? Hows Turkey hunting compare? I wouldnt think its a s dangerouse but I understand you need a lot more patience, and skill?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Spike

Depends on where your hunting.in ohio they can be hard to get.we don`t have to many yet! Do you have a lot of hogs in your area,and how do you want to hunt them.ohio hambone
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been on a half dozen hog hunts in east TX. Hogs can be very hard to hunt, at least down there. They seem to only come to the feeders when all the other natural food sources are depleted, usually in late summer and late winter. They are also hard to spot cause even the big ones are lower than the brush. my last 2 hunts Ive come home without a hog. (and those were guided hunts)
Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

they're smart,especially in hard hunted area's - there's usually a hog hunter around who probably wouldn't mind taking you on a hunt, where are you located ?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Spike

Hogs are tough to hunt, but a lot of fun. We go to a ranch south of Dallas every year and it's a blast. We usually go in late Feb - early March when the weather's decent, but the problem we run into is when they've been shot at alot, they tend to stay in cover til the sun goes down. I would say your best chance is to go out at night (if that's an option). The place we go, we have to talk the guides into taking us out after dark, and that's in pickups with high chairs and a spot light.

We hunt from open and closed blinds, usually over feeders, and have pretty good luck (usually). Hunting them this way is pretty black and white...see hog, shoot hog.
A spot and stalk hunt is a different story. I've never been too excited to run into the brush looking for a pissed off 300 lb. hog, but that's just me.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys, I live in Santa Cruz California, and found about a dozen different guided hunt ranches within a days drive....looking on their websites it seems they are accomadating to begginers etc. I'll keep reading up and after I get some trigger time on my weapon Im sure Ill feel more comforatable making a decision to either jump in the water or hang back and spend some time shooting squirells on public lands for a few...
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

bow or gun?
hogs are almost blind, but the have a keen sense of smell.
if ya use a hog board, you can walk right up to them, with a lil bit O' practice.
the best way to get them in when its warm is with some diesel gas on some sand.
in the winter, a heavy baited area is good.
trap?
need to make some hog juice, they will go right in.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Will swap, bow only, hog hunts for up 4 to hunters for up 4 to days. Anybody, can let me know what they have to offer. We will show you a pretty good time most of the time. We use elevated stands with special lights, that I build, to light the baited area. The best time to hunt in Northeast Texas is at night. We do offer a small cabin on the property. Anyone interested email [email protected]. Jim
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Much easier than deer and turkey. They cant see for crap, but have a great sense of smell. Stay low in down wind and you can pretty much creep up on them. If you hunt from a blind, they are a peace of cake.