HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   where would you put or aim ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/324865-where-would-you-put-aim.html)

buckclub 06-23-2010 09:24 AM

where would you put or aim ??

where would you aim on say a hog like this,
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...2.jpg&newest=1

podunk kennels 06-23-2010 01:15 PM

The link doesnt work.

FlaBoy18 06-23-2010 01:32 PM

Right behind the ear because his shield is probably four inches thick

buckclub 06-23-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by podunk kennels (Post 3638586)
The link doesnt work.

fixed it should be good

buckclub 06-23-2010 01:38 PM

my weapon will be a scoped 300 win short mag, 150 grain bullets.

cynikalHC 06-23-2010 01:45 PM

doesnt matter the size of the hog, shoot them behind they ear and they all drop. 40 - 500 pounders...

podunk kennels 06-23-2010 01:46 PM

Inside 200 yards id give em a 27 caliber 110 grain vmax a little behind and below the base of the ear. Outside 200 id pass with the v max, but with the other .270 Id put an Accubond behind his shoulder, that hog looks fat but young. Doesnt look terribly huge either a lung shot will do the trick.

buckclub 06-23-2010 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by cynikalHC (Post 3638600)
doesnt matter the size of the hog, shoot them behind they ear and they all drop. 40 - 500 pounders...

behing the ear in the brain? or in the neck to sever the spinal cord? I have never shot at one before and want to waste little meat. how much do you think this one weighs? 220 plus live weight?

buckclub 06-23-2010 02:03 PM

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...9.jpg&newest=1

podunk kennels 06-23-2010 02:25 PM

Much less than 220, hogs are hard to estimate if you havent seen many on the scale before. Shoot just behind the ear from a broadside or quartering away position and youll do just fine. Do not attempt the shot if hes moving to much or youre not steady only shoot if you are 100 percent confident in your hold.

pighunter270 06-23-2010 03:29 PM

Put it through both shoulders with a .277 trophy bonded tip. DRT

Silverboar 06-23-2010 03:44 PM

Right under his ear....like this....

podunk kennels 06-23-2010 03:51 PM

Zero meat wasted and zero tracking, nice shooting silverboar, glad to see some other graduates of meat hunter shooting university.

buckclub 06-23-2010 03:56 PM

I am going to be high in a tree, fairly close quarters at night 30 yards or so downwind, headlamp is all I have no scope light

zrexpilot 06-29-2010 03:22 PM

or like this

Ini 06-30-2010 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by zrexpilot (Post 3640968)
or like this

Good shot .22 Hornet it is enough to lay down

robbcayman 07-02-2010 09:27 AM

I won't advocate a 22 hornet for most hog hunting. If you miss, you have a real chance to wound the animal. With that said, there are certainly guys who are good enough of marksmen to make it work.

Nice shooting, zrex.

zrexpilot 07-02-2010 09:45 AM

excalibur43 07-02-2010 09:57 AM

I personally, would double lung him. Any animal, no matter how big or small can't live through a double lung shot.

falcon 07-02-2010 01:28 PM

A hog is not built like a deer. A hogs heart and lungs sit very low in the body. For a hog that is broadside a bullet in the ear, below the ear or on line between the ear and will do the trick every time. A shot low and just behind the crook in the front leg will also do it every time.

http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/learnhogs.htm

Most of my hogs have fallen to a .50 inline muzzleloder. A few dozen of them have been killed with a .22 magnum and a .223.

Shooting a big boar hog in the shoulder is not the answer unless you are using heavy for caliber bullets that will hold together well.

White Falcon 07-02-2010 01:32 PM

Not that big, you could use a .22 Mag

excalibur43 07-02-2010 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 3642033)
A hog is not built like a deer. A hogs heart and lungs sit very low in the body. For a hog that is broadside a bullet in the ear, below the ear or on line between the ear and will do the trick every time. A shot low and just behind the crook in the front leg will also do it every time.

Most of my hogs have fallen to a .50 inline muzzleloder. A few dozen of them have been killed with a .22 magnum and a .223.

Shooting a big boar hog in the shoulder is not the answer unless you are using heavy for caliber bullets that will hold together well.

A Rhino isn't built like a deer either, but a bullet through both lungs will anchor him as well. Lungs are directly behind the rib cage of all animals,largest vitals to hit, pretty simple and very reliable shot.

zrexpilot 07-02-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by excalibur43 (Post 3642071)
A Rhino isn't built like a deer either, but a bullet through both lungs will anchor him as well. Lungs are directly behind the rib cage of all animals,largest vitals to hit, pretty simple and very reliable shot.

I dont think hes disputing that, hes just saying the vitals are a bit lower and forward on a hog.

Poke Smott 07-02-2010 03:48 PM

at that angle, i would say behind the front shoulder..get a good boiler room shot..

Poke Smott 07-02-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 3642033)

totally agree...the shoulders and the front chest plate are strong on big hogs, and you'd be surprised how many big hogs i see take a shoulder shot, and when we finally find em, they are still alive and runnin 35mph away from us.

podunk kennels 07-02-2010 04:02 PM

I disagree. The problem with bod shooting a hog is that the fatty tissue or shiled will plug the hole up and stop blood flow. Also the lungs do not extend "behind the ribcage" that sir would be the paunch or guts.

zrexpilot 07-02-2010 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by podunk kennels (Post 3642079)
I disagree. The problem with bod shooting a hog is that the fatty tissue or shiled will plug the hole up and stop blood flow. Also the lungs do not extend "behind the ribcage" that sir would be the paunch or guts.

i think what he means is on the other side of the rib cage (behind the rib cage )

timbercruiser 07-02-2010 05:15 PM

Ear hole em'

podunk kennels 07-02-2010 07:43 PM

Maybe inside the ribcage you say? Now this makes sense...

excalibur43 07-03-2010 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by podunk kennels (Post 3642141)
Maybe inside the ribcage you say? Now this makes sense...

Yes, within the ribcage. If the ribcage is exposed, so are the lungs. The larger the animal, the larger the ribcage and lung area.

podunk kennels 07-03-2010 04:37 AM

Sorry bud, my pig anatomy knowledge and youre wording were having a conflict.

falcon 07-03-2010 06:41 AM

the shoulders and the front chest plate are strong on big hogs, and you'd be surprised how many big hogs i see take a shoulder shot, and when we finally find em, they are still alive and runnin 35mph away from us.
Bingo!

i have seen 175 pound hogs absorb 150 grain .30 caliber bullets that hit the shoulders and never even slow down. i've killed hogs that had wounds to the shoulder where bullets had come apart.

Double lunged hogs do not always fall dead where they stand. I have seen hogs hit in both lungs go 400 yards. Hogs are not predictable. Sometimes a gutshot hog will just fall over and die, usually they do not.

IME: The .50 muzzleloader seems to kill hogs much better than most .30 caliber rifles. One of my favorite muzzleloader bullets is the 240 grain .430 XTP. When a hog is hit low behind the shoulder that bullet sheds petals and lead. It shreds the heart, lungs and diaphragm. I now hunt mostly with the .50 350 grain FPB bullet. Hog fat is not going to plug up the two holes made by that bullet.

Good luck with your hog hunting.

podunk kennels 07-03-2010 06:58 AM

Hogs do have a tenacity for life that isnt rivaled by any other animal Ive hunted except the coyote. Therefore I advocate shooting hogs in the head/ neck or spine as they cant go far if you properly execute the shot.

Centaur 1 07-03-2010 08:05 PM

My BIL is the manager of the sporting goods department for Walmart in some one road town in southern Alabama. He says that he has trouble keeping the Marlin 917V rifle in stock. He says all the locals swear by the tiny .17 HMR. I believe that they're mostly running them with dogs at night. That tiny 17 grain pill makes it through the ear, then explodes like a small grenade in the pig's head. Mario's been posting pics of head shot pigs for years that he's killed with his hornet.
Since you don't have much light make sure that you use a good scope. Just look at Marios(zrexpilot), he uses a good quality Mueller scope. Also make sure that you practice at 30 yards. There's not much room for error and most people will sight in a 300 magnum like yours to be high at 100 yards. At 30 yards it'll be close enough for a chest shot, but you need to know exactly where the bullet's going if you try a head shot.

excalibur43 07-04-2010 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 3642221)
Bingo!

i have seen 175 pound hogs absorb 150 grain .30 caliber bullets that hit the shoulders and never even slow down. i've killed hogs that had wounds to the shoulder where bullets had come apart.

Double lunged hogs do not always fall dead where they stand. I have seen hogs hit in both lungs go 400 yards. Hogs are not predictable. Sometimes a gutshot hog will just fall over and die, usually they do not.

IME: The .50 muzzleloader seems to kill hogs much better than most .30 caliber rifles. One of my favorite muzzleloader bullets is the 240 grain .430 XTP. When a hog is hit low behind the shoulder that bullet sheds petals and lead. It shreds the heart, lungs and diaphragm. I now hunt mostly with the .50 350 grain FPB bullet. Hog fat is not going to plug up the two holes made by that bullet.

Good luck with your hog hunting.

LOL. Sorry, no animal can travel 400 yards with absolutely No means to get oxygen. It wont happen. One lung shot and the other still working, I could see and have seen.I agree that with a double lung shot, they may not drop in their tracks, but they wont make it very far. I have shot a few hogs myself, the latest with a 270 at a range of 78 yards. Double lung shot, he made it about 30 feet and dropped dead.Head shots or behind the ear shots are also very lethal and if well placed, will drop a hog in it's tracks. The problem with using a small caliber for this, is if the hog happens to move and bullet doesn't hit it's mark then he probably isn't going to die.I also am not suggesting that you shoot him in the lungs with a 22 either.It doesn't have what it takes to get through both lungs.Any caliber with enough velocity and kinetic energy to make it through the chest cavity of a hog will be lethal for a lung shot and any well placed shot at the base of the neck, behind the ear etc. will be lethal medicine for any hog as well.

falcon 07-04-2010 11:06 AM

LOL. Sorry, no animal can travel 400 yards with absolutely No means to get oxygen.
Go out and kill 750-1,000 hogs and then tell me that crap.

podunk kennels 07-04-2010 11:19 AM

I personally dont lung shoot hogs but Ive seen one lungers never stop and two lungers go 50 to 100 yards. Never personally seen one go 400 but not ruling it out either.

excalibur43 07-05-2010 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 3642665)
Go out and kill 750-1,000 hogs and then tell me that crap.

LOL. It's not some bionic animal, it's just a pig. It's anatomy works like any other mammals. No oxygen to the body, no oxygen to the brain. The body ceases to live, period.Death happens in seconds.If you shoot ANY ANIMAL, and it can still make it 400 yards, the problem isn't a tougher than average animal, it's a poorer than average shooter.

buckclub 07-07-2010 05:31 PM

ok, update, I went out and he came in but the wind changed and he left. I didn't get a chance to shine the light on him as he wasn't in the food stopping zone yet. I smacked a chuck at 280 yards dead on with the short mag, I had better put it at a target on 30 and see where it hits, but I figure that it (variation) can't be less than the distance between the scope and the barrel. What about lights? The headlamp was less than desirable. Anyone do a mag light or that effect taped to the barrel. Not getting to much money spent on this hobby as there is not a ton around. I plan on an ear shot or slightly behind, but I will be above him. Its going to happen quick I think (light flash- boom or wait until a better shot then boom). He has been seeing my camera flash and it doesn't seem to phase him

excalibur43 07-08-2010 03:13 AM

A buddy of mine uses a green light and has stationed it over his bait pile. He digs a hole and puts the bait in so the hogs will have to stay there and work to get it. It gives him more time to get a shot. He said the green light works great. It kind of lights up the area a little brighter than moonlight, but hasn't spooked any hogs yet.