Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Help with hog bait mix

Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help with hog bait mix

This is what I did based on some advice I read on here:

I've got 50 lbs of corn in three 5 gallon buckets, each bucket is about 2/3rds full.

I put four cheap beers, four packets of yeast, and three packets of strawberry jello in each bucket. Then I poured water in until you could just barely see standing water at the top of the corn.

Its been about 4 days and it isn't doing much and doesn't smell too strong, but it hasn't been too hot or sunny here either. Maybe I have too little yeast, or the wrong amount of water. Any advice?

If done right, how long does it take for this stuff to start stinking sufficiently to attract hogs? I kind of wanted to go tomorrow night, but I don't think it will be stinky enough.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Spike

I don't know anything about hog bait, but that sounds like it could make for a pretty powerful drink. Distill that and it might still work out for the best.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

I don't really know that the stinky corn actually attracts hogs. I think its primary benefit is that deer and raccoons won't eat much of it, so it stays around until the hogs find it.

I think the hogs prefer plain corn, just like other animals, but they will eat the sour corn if they're hungry enough. Of course, just about everything in the forest will eat corn. That's why sometimes you have to sour it, just to 'protect' it from the rest of the animal population.

My opinion is that plain corn works best to attract hogs. The problem is getting the hogs to find it before it disappears.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

IME hogs love the soured corn and its smell makes it easier to find. Deer dont usually eat it but florida coons and bears darn sure will. Stonewall, stir it around with a stick and i bet youll smell it. Thats more or less my recipe except for the jello never tried it but it soundss like itll work.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

The worse it smells the better they like it. I use just plain water and let it sour, you can put in strawberry jello that's fine, beer is fine.. It's the stink that attracts them.

I also us soured Milo or rotten potato's.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ask the rev what aftershave he uses...add some of that and that will draw them! stuffs so nasty it knocks buzzards off gut wagon!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Just leave it a few more days and it should be good, But heres somethin i learned last year by my Dads buddy while Hog hunting with him. Just about every time he goes out to his spot he takes packets of coolaid and puts them in water. He says that it keeps the Pigs comin back to the spot just to drink the water because of the taste/smell.
Hope i could help some with Baiting,
Good Luck!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by RLoving1
Ask the rev what aftershave he uses...add some of that and that will draw them! stuffs so nasty it knocks buzzards off gut wagon!
Good grief, and this is from a friend!
Old 05-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Spike

Best bait and lure I have found ranges from diesel on a towel around a tree to keep the bugs off of them after they rub on it. Also with it getting hotter use google earth to your advantage, all animals need to drink, bait around H2o or at least in an area. A hog like any animal wants to take the easiest route possible on natural lines of drift. I have heard of people mixing diesel in with the corn but I have never tried it. I have 2 five gallon jugs and what I do is put about 3 gal of corn in there and through out the week I put ALL egg shells, vegetables, coffee grounds, meat, bacon fat and any thing else that if you put in the sun makes a smell that will make you want to puke. The thing with sour corn and rotten food is not only that they like it more but just easier for the hog who's sense of smell is second to none to find. Be sure to be baiting them in an area easy to access with a short walk from a vehicle and if possible an area that can be seen from afar. If you walk up on or shoot a hog they will run like hell and not be back for a while. Also if you are a tree stand hunter like myself be sure that there is a great tree to put your stand in. Also after you bait be sure to keep up everyday on if the corn is taken. A lot of hunters think hogs are eating the bait but a trail cam might reveal another culprit (coons, deer, etc.). Consider a trail cam if area is safe to put one up with out a chance it will get stolen. Back to the making sure it is in fact hogs taking the bait if the area is not rooted up they are not there. Good luck let me know what happens.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Spike

Get som sardines and sour buttermilk they will go crazy over that I promise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.