Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
I've got a question for you swine slayers out there. >

I've got a question for you swine slayers out there.

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

I've got a question for you swine slayers out there.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've got a question for you swine slayers out there.

First let me say that I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times but I'm gonna ask anyway.Bait for hogs,what's a good one besides plain old corn(which does indeed work)I'm looking for something else.So come on boys give up your recipes
Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find it REALLY hard to believe that noone has any "special" recipes for hog bait they want to share with me
Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Soured corn works best...

No secret mix.. just pour some in a bucket fill with water put a lid on it and set in the sun.. if it melts the paint off your house when you open it, it's ready..

I also add some strawberry jello to it for added smell.. Drives hogs crazy.

I like to bury it several feet in the ground keeps them coming back and trust me they will dig it all up.

I have also used soured milo, it works. rotten potatos, anything that smells bad.
Corn mixed with diesel works good too, and keeps other animals away. ( sounds stupid, but other hog hunters will agree with me)

Last edited by The Rev; 02-24-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to disturb the ground a bit and then sprinkle Jello mix over the dirk. The hogs would root it up pretty good. I've tried peanut butter and they didn't even touch it.

Why do you not want to use corn?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Soured corn works best...

No secret mix.. just pour some in a bucket fill with water put a lid on it and set in the sun.. if it melts the paint off your house when you open it, it's ready..

I also add some strawberry jello to it for added smell.. Drives hogs crazy.

I like to bury it several feet in the ground keeps them coming back and trust me they will dig it all up.

I have also used soured milo, it works. rotten potatos, anything that smells bad.
Corn mixed with diesel works good too, and keeps other animals away. ( sounds stupid, but other hog hunters will agree with me)
You pretty much covered everything I was going to suggest. We normally just use plain corn, but the soured corn or the diesel mixed corn will keep the other animals away.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff, I like your signature!! I have to deal with engineers so I completely understand. I would like to add that architects also drive me crazy. As a senior project manager owners Rep. on multi-million dollar construction jobs, I have to really ask myself, what the heck did they teach them in college.

I can say one thing about them, the are consistent, consistently costing me money on changes orders. However I do have a great MEP enginner.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Spike

make some rubbing stumps around your corn by pourning some diesel or motor oil on an old piece of carpet and just combine some beer and corn let that ferment that should do it right there
Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I use to disturb the ground a bit and then sprinkle Jello mix over the dirk. The hogs would root it up pretty good. I've tried peanut butter and they didn't even touch it.

Why do you not want to use corn?

It's not that I don't want to I was just looking for other ways that's all.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

Wet 50 lbs of corn in a drum and stir in a pound of yeast and five pounds of brown sugar then set in the sun, leave a bunghole open or crack the lid the yeast will swell the drum.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

so why diesel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.