HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   I've got a question for you swine slayers out there. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/318084-ive-got-question-you-swine-slayers-out-there.html)

Korak 02-24-2010 09:52 AM

I've got a question for you swine slayers out there.

First let me say that I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times but I'm gonna ask anyway.Bait for hogs,what's a good one besides plain old corn(which does indeed work)I'm looking for something else.So come on boys give up your recipes:s2:

Korak 02-24-2010 02:32 PM

I find it REALLY hard to believe that noone has any "special" recipes for hog bait they want to share with me:sad0064:

The Rev 02-24-2010 04:41 PM

Soured corn works best...

No secret mix.. just pour some in a bucket fill with water put a lid on it and set in the sun.. if it melts the paint off your house when you open it, it's ready..

I also add some strawberry jello to it for added smell.. Drives hogs crazy.

I like to bury it several feet in the ground keeps them coming back and trust me they will dig it all up.

I have also used soured milo, it works. rotten potatos, anything that smells bad.
Corn mixed with diesel works good too, and keeps other animals away. ( sounds stupid, but other hog hunters will agree with me)

SWThomas 02-24-2010 04:50 PM

I use to disturb the ground a bit and then sprinkle Jello mix over the dirk. The hogs would root it up pretty good. I've tried peanut butter and they didn't even touch it.

Why do you not want to use corn?

JeffS 02-24-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Rev (Post 3583410)
Soured corn works best...

No secret mix.. just pour some in a bucket fill with water put a lid on it and set in the sun.. if it melts the paint off your house when you open it, it's ready..

I also add some strawberry jello to it for added smell.. Drives hogs crazy.

I like to bury it several feet in the ground keeps them coming back and trust me they will dig it all up.

I have also used soured milo, it works. rotten potatos, anything that smells bad.
Corn mixed with diesel works good too, and keeps other animals away. ( sounds stupid, but other hog hunters will agree with me)

You pretty much covered everything I was going to suggest. We normally just use plain corn, but the soured corn or the diesel mixed corn will keep the other animals away.

The Rev 02-24-2010 06:43 PM

Jeff, I like your signature!! I have to deal with engineers so I completely understand. I would like to add that architects also drive me crazy. As a senior project manager owners Rep. on multi-million dollar construction jobs, I have to really ask myself, what the heck did they teach them in college.:mad:

I can say one thing about them, the are consistent, consistently costing me money on changes orders. However I do have a great MEP enginner.

russianredneck 02-24-2010 07:09 PM

make some rubbing stumps around your corn by pourning some diesel or motor oil on an old piece of carpet and just combine some beer and corn let that ferment that should do it right there

Korak 02-25-2010 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by SWThomas (Post 3583419)
I use to disturb the ground a bit and then sprinkle Jello mix over the dirk. The hogs would root it up pretty good. I've tried peanut butter and they didn't even touch it.

Why do you not want to use corn?

It's not that I don't want to I was just looking for other ways that's all.

podunk kennels 03-01-2010 05:05 PM

Wet 50 lbs of corn in a drum and stir in a pound of yeast and five pounds of brown sugar then set in the sun, leave a bunghole open or crack the lid the yeast will swell the drum.

halfbakedi420 03-01-2010 05:09 PM

so why diesel?