Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
How do I find landowners that will let me hunt hogs in FL? >

How do I find landowners that will let me hunt hogs in FL?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

How do I find landowners that will let me hunt hogs in FL?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Spike

Question How do I find landowners that will let me hunt hogs in FL?

Does anyone know how to go about finding landowners that will let me hunt hogs on their land without all the ranch and guide strings?
I'm not looking for trophys or bragging right. I'm a disabled Iraqi vet with two kids and an empty freezer. VA disability helps but things are always tight. I'm origionally a backwoods Ohio boy, but I moved down here after Iraq to go to the West Palm VA and stayed. I'm in St Lucie county. If I can find a landowner that wants hogs out of his fields or woods I will gladly hunt them full time until the problem is gone. Any point in the right direction would be appreciated! Thank, Dusty
Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would check with the local county agent. They should be able to help you out.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Check with your local beef ranchers assoc and the local citrus growers... hogs do terrible damage to citrus... they can clear out a grove to three feet high in no time, and that equates to loss of revenue for the citrus growers..
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would take Sewer Rats advice and focus on the farmers. They'll be the ones that'll likely allow you to hunt hogs without charging for it.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Sewer Rat
Check with your local beef ranchers assoc and the local citrus growers... hogs do terrible damage to citrus... they can clear out a grove to three feet high in no time, and that equates to loss of revenue for the citrus growers..
Good Advice!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Spike

Default Citrus growers

Might want to read up on citrus Diseases www.gulfcitrus.org

What I understand driving or walking can spread some diseases if

pre-cautions are not taken. Good luck.

Regards,
Old 06-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Spike

you might try posting your needs at the local feed store.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

You can try but I think its a waist of time unless you know someone that owns the land and even if you do know them its still hard due to Liability.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by daleintampa
You can try but I think its a waist of time unless you know someone that owns the land and even if you do know them its still hard due to Liability.
I'm in Texas, but I suspect things are pretty much the same everywhere regarding this situation. It won't hurt to contact the county agent or the local co-op, but don't get your hopes up. Most folks either charge to hunt, or (more likely) let their friends and relatives hunt on their property. As others have mentioned, there are multiple liabilities involved. My father-in-law occasionally gets requests to hunt on his farm, but he always declines. He just doesn't want to take a chance on someone shooting a cow, damaging something (crops, fences, structures), leaving trash, leaving a gate open, etc.

If you do make contact, remember that you never get a second chance to make a good first impression. Dress nicely, comb your hair, speak politely, and act as if you're interviewing. In effect you are. Good luck.