Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Need some advice on a red lens light >

Need some advice on a red lens light

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Need some advice on a red lens light

Old 01-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need some advice on a red lens light

I will be making a hog hunt in Texas next month and was wondering what is the best spotlight with a red lens to use. The average stand distance from the feeders is 60 - 70 yards. I have found a couple of interesting ones online, and the best looking one is a Thor/Cyclops Sirius 9-Watt LED Spotlight. It has great reviews but none of the reviews really mentions hunting hogs so I was wondering what you guys would recommend. The hunting will be done with rifles. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by BungalowBizz; 01-22-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Optronics scope mounted light, remove the factory plastic thing that snaps on scope and install a weaver-type ring upside down on your scope to clamp on light. cheap but effective. Another hot item is from HAWGLITE. If you are hunting with a buddie a handheld rechargeable works great, stay with a name brand.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

After further thought concerning your question, consider a green light. Also I feel that hogs can detect certain red-lensed lights, especially the ones that have been shot at. If you happen to be hunting under full moon you won't need a light, just a large objective lense on scope. I guide hog hunts in N. Texas and I see everything from red saran wrapped maglights to $4000.00 night vision scopes.....
Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Do you even need a colored lens covering? I got a Sure-fire that throws a pretty good light. Will it instantly spook them if I hit em with it right before I shoot?

I've never really had any experiance with night hunting, so any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Sometimes you can use an unfiltered white light if the hogs haven't been pressured too much, every year our "season" starts right after deer season and we do have hunters take hogs with a unfiltered light. As the season progresses it gets tougher so a red or green light is a must, like I mentioned before I have seen, especially bigger boars, bolt when any light hits them. During orientation I also encourage the hunters to start their lights high and bring it down slowly on the hogs. I have had hunters come in with lights that are too powerful! (about a kajjillion candlepower) If the hogs are close it spooks them every time.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Another tip I pass on to new hog hunters is to practice shooting at night. I come from a state that there is no night hunting with lights allowed, and it is tough to get accustomed to. In fact my first opportunity at a hog resulted in me shooting his shadow, I think.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the info, romat.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kelly Garmin who invented the HawgLite is a friend of mine and his line of hog hunting lights and accessories has become very popular. Not sure if he is even still making the original HawgLite but now he has a complete line of products associated with hunting hogs at night with lights with bows or rifles. Check his stuff out at. http://www.hawglite.com/index.html
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've used a Brinkman Q-beam for a long time. Think it is supposed to be a 500,000 CP spotlight. The switch is on the back of the light, which I like better than a trigger. It didn't have a hood, so I cut a plastic paint bucket to size, duct taped it, then painted it black. I've had to replace the cord on it once, but it's been a good light. The beam isn't focused real tight, so I can see a pretty large area when I'm out lighting.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I will certainly put it all to good use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.