Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Exotic Rams - Edibility

Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Exotic Rams - Edibility

I was talking to a buddy who hunted a preserve where they have pigs and rams. He hunted pigs but he asked the folks about how the rams were to eat. He said the guides at the place said the rams were pretty poor eating.

What's everyone else's experience with this? How are they to eat. How would you compare them to other game meat?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Goat=yummy....mmmmmm...curried goat.

Ram=ummm.....weellll....if it is big....I would rather eat a bucket of luke warm puke.

But hey!!!! To each his own.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like the taste of puke so I guess we might go the hunters feeding the hungry route on that.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep they are baaaad, just sent me the meat, I'll throw it away for you.LOL
Old 11-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
Yep they are baaaad, just sent me the meat, I'll throw it away for you.LOL
Not if you soak it over night in Cuban Mojo!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep they are baaaad
Nice touch with the "baaaad". Well played.

Took me a second and then it clicked in. To be read like e sheep
Old 11-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Spike

Bet the guides are eating alot of ram LOL!

Ram is very good to eat. You just need to prepare it properly.

Description and Cooking Instructions.

It's a little sweeter than beef, not as grainy or sinewy, no gristle or grease in the meat, takes merrinading much better than beef as it just sucked it up in 15-20 minutes even with the steak, 1/2 hour could be to much (I recommend a good Balsamic Vinagrette), if your not careful you will over-marinate them, a joy to cook, a little salt and pepper and that is all you need for the best burgers you'll ever eat.
After you eat this meat it doesn't sit like a rock in your stomach; highly digestable!
When forming patties you will want it almost frozen because they will want to fall apart if you don't. Making them a patty is tricky and can take some effort but it is WELL worth it. Squeeze off excess liquid with hands into sink a 1/3lb patty at a time before forming as this dries it out a bit and allows the meat to stick together better. Take about a third pound ball and press from middle while rotating patty in your hand. The patties are the same size after cooking as before; no shrinkage! Add a little drizzle of cooking oil directly to the meat on the side first cooked, because the meat will definitely stick without it. Then add oil to the other side before flipping. Cook slowly on low heat. A fast-cooking meat; DO NOT OVER-COOK!
15 minutes on first side, 10 on the next, no more than five again on other side (add cheese now).
Can't beat it with a stick!!!
BBQ sauce is strong on this kind of meat as it takes-up the flavor so easily. Use BBQ sauce sparingly.