Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

question

Old 10-25-2009, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default question

last week i shot this 60-65 lb pig, 30 yds. 50 cal muzzlelaoder,hornady 45-250 grain sabot....after the shot the pigs stood there with their hair up just looking, i turned to reload and they started to trott off, not spooked at all, just a normal trott....i went over to where they were, no blood.....ok, clean miss.I was fine with that....the next day, there the hog laid, almost right where i had shot it, must of circled around....i couldn't hunt that afternoon because i was a buddy and the permit holder doesnt hunt evenings, if i had been able too, i would of seen the hog come out....the hog didn't squeal, didn't grunt, there was NO reaction other than the hair going up.....why???????????????????
the shot was a high , center shoulder......should of had some reaction i would think......every other hog i have shot with that gun and load has dropped, but one and that was a poor shot...but I knew I had hit it at least.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

the hog didn't squeal, didn't grunt, there was NO reaction other than the hair going up.....why???????????????????
Have had this happen to me quite a few times. Often there is no reaction at all and the hog runs off to fall dead some time later. Recently shot a 130 pound sow low behind the ear with a .22 magnum at about 50 yards: Knew that i had hit her but there was no reaction at all. She took off with her big pigs like nothing happened. There was no blood or anything. Started walking in ever increasing semi circles and found her dead about 90 yards from where she was shot.

Not sure why it happens.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can certainly understand a .22 getting that reaction, especially at 50 yds. being the size it was..... it's the 30 yds. with a muzzleleoader that baffles me...
Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

I shot one last week at 25 yds with a 30/06 165 gr nosler ballistic tip. It was a perfect shoulder shot and the pig hauled butt like I missed it. Showed no signs of being hit. Found it the next day in thick, thick brush 40 yds away.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can certainly understand a .22 getting that reaction, especially at 50 yds. being the size it was..... it's the 30 yds. with a muzzleleoader that baffles me...

I have had no reaction at all from at least three hogs that were hit solidly at close range with a 240 grain .430 bullet fired from a .50 cal. muzzleloader. Knew that i had hit those hogs and all were recovered: Even saw the dust fly off one hog when the bullet hit him in the shoulder. Had no reaction from a 275 pound boar smacked with a .30 caliber 150 grain Core Lokt that hit him at over 3,000 fps, he just took off at warp speed: That one made it about 200 yards with a good blood trail.

Sometimes they just do not show any sign of being hit.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot many a hog with a .22 LR hollow point CCI in the temple area they just drop.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
I have shot many a hog with a .22 LR hollow point CCI in the temple area they just drop.
I have as well(not many but a few), I guess it all boils down to shot placement...I was , still am amazed that there was no reaction with the larger load on a small hog to boot.....oh well, the buzzards ate well.........and it's not like theres not an over abundance of them out there, just sucked ........
Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I shot one with a bow once that jumped and then came back to the corn to eat. I thought I had to have missed. I was knocking a new arrow and the pig squealed and ran about 10 yards and died. Guess it was kind of like when you cut yourself with a razor. He only felt the quick sting and then dropped 15 seconds later. very weird.