Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Thermocell, hogs and scent >

Thermocell, hogs and scent

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Thermocell, hogs and scent

Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

SW Thomas has it correct.

Hogs have an incredibly sensitive nose even more so than a whitetail. Their downfall is the sample the wind 0-24 inches from the ground so it isn't too difficult to get the wind over their head. Get twenty feet up a tree and you can almost hunt any wind for a hog on flat ground. I would say plain and simple an errant wind shift or thermal threw some scent their way or one of the two of you had walked through that area getting to your stand. Every hunter I put in the woods or go to the woods with uses a therma cell. Prior to therma cells we used bug spray and the same rules applied, hunt the wind, and hope that it doesnt shift and betray your ambush. Unfortunately, wind plays by its own rules and some days you just get busted. I wouldnt lose too much sleep trying to figure it out or waste to much time trying to beat it. You either get it right or you get it wrong when it comes to scent in the wind.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Spike

Their smelling you.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Spike

Dude, hogs may be ugly, but they aren't stupid. Sometimes I think one will sense something isn't quite right and the rest will follow. I have heard them all around me in the past and never saw them, then other times they walk right up on me. We all get busted now and again, no matter what the wind is doing or how well you are concealed.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stancel
Dude, hogs may be ugly, but they aren't stupid. Sometimes I think one will sense something isn't quite right and the rest will follow. I have heard them all around me in the past and never saw them, then other times they walk right up on me. We all get busted now and again, no matter what the wind is doing or how well you are concealed.
I hear ya. I had 3 of them in front of me once and the wind shifted. They immediately changed their behavior and bolted in different directions. A few minutes later I could hear them around my blind grunting and snorting. They had winded me and came to check me out. There was thick brush on both sides of my blind so I didn't see them but they were pretty close. They didn't stay very long after that.