Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Hunting with dogs and a knife >

Hunting with dogs and a knife

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hunting with dogs and a knife

Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Rebel Hog
Been doing it close to 50 years............Always have used dogs......

Shot a many with rifle and hand guns also!
Reb that was then, this is now... I'm sure that old buzzards like us, just bore them to death!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken hogs with my bow, shotgun, rifles, muzzleloader and even my .22, nothing compares to sticking one with your knife...IMHO, hunting hogs with Dogs and a knife is the best thing ever...besides turkey hunting of course, lol.
To me, you're there attached to your kill, you're on it's level....it's somewhat spirital...
I was taught to stick it in the heart and twist, works pretty quick, lol....I really don't think I could slit it's throat, too close to those teeth for my comfort, but who knows maybe one day.
I only hunt in the cooler months, hunting in the summer or spring would kill me,lol...
this is my very first knife kill

just me and reb....love this dog.

The only thing I have learned is that i don't like alot of dogs, it gets too crazy, give me 1-3 and thats just fine.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Spike

Hello neighbor,that's a great tusker you got there,really nice trophy.That's also a good looking furkid.Dave
Old 08-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool pics huntnma!
Old 08-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DC KNIVES
Hello neighbor,that's a great tusker you got there,really nice trophy.That's also a good looking furkid.Dave
well helloooooooo, didn't even see you were from Satellite bch., I grew up beachside, went to DeLaura J.H. ,Satellite high...I didn't hunt back then but I did hang out with the rednecks and they would let me come to hunt camp but thats about it.Silly boys would leave all the beer with me, lol....
Reb, my furkid is a hog killing machine, usually it's just him, he doesn't get along with others well once theres a hog involved...if he finds it, it's his and he doesn't like to share...but he is a good dog and the only one I'll go hunting with.
I was reading the specs on the knives wanted....I have to agree, especially with the double snaps....It was 2-3 yrs. ago I went over this bridge and I heard it, kaplunk, right into the water...brand new pig sticker gone....It was a sad day in the woods for me...I had just gotten it for a Christmas present , never hutned with it and never will now, lol....
Glad y'all liked my hog pics
Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to hunt with dogs and a knife with a guy named Johnny Phillips in Georgia. He also tracked wounded deer with his dogs. It was a lot of fun, but I haven't done it in years.

I've hunted them from North Carolina to Texas since then, but I haven't had the chance to hunt over some good catch dogs since I left Georgia.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

dog and knife. I have shot the occasional hog that I have seen in the woods when I was out by myself, but otherwise, I don't care to shoot them.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Anything very large, I shoot. I don't like getting my dogs torn up. Boars I shoot.

Sows with piglets, I shoot the sows, then turn the dogs loose on the piglets. Then instead of killing just one or two hogs, I can come close to eliminating the whole bunch.