Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Bomb

Old 08-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Spike

I have heard it works great and than i have heard it sucks. your better off just throwing corn out there buddy
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think it's another Human lure or gimmick like the people that make hog wild, to me it's just hog wash.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think it's another Human lure or gimmick like the people that make hog wild, to me it's just hog wash.

+1

I find the empty cans lying all over the place but never any gut piles. Stuff is expensive too.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Spike

i have used mash several times but never any sprays

mash works great
sprays not so sure about
Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always had great luck with hogs by pouring out some Wal-Mart brand jello mix. Peanut butter didn't work at all. I tested that theory out and that whole jar of peanut butter went untouched for almost a week until the racoons found it. All the corn around the jar of PB was eaten by the hogs but not the PB. Weird huh...

Basically what it boils down to is what their food preference is. If there's something else in the area that they prefer over what you're using....They won't touch your stuff. All animals are that way, even squirrels.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Texas just about anything is legal, with the exception of poison. Regarding baits -- last year my sister-in-law gave me a package of Hog Wild. I tried their suggestion of digging a hole and putting the bait in with some corn, and then covering it. It took the hogs a few days to find it, but they did dig it up pretty well. However, I think it's really just ground berries or fruit with sugar -- basically Jello.

I'm with SWT. I buy generic gelatin, usually raspberry or strawberry, and mix it with corn. I make sure to get the kind with sugar rather than the sugar-free stuff. I think it works as well as anything.

A comment on mash, or sour corn. My (limited) experience is that the hogs don't necessarily like it, but they'll eat it if they're hungry enough. The advantage of using it is that deer and raccoons won't bother it so it stays around until the hogs decide to go for it. If you dump mash and plain corn, the hogs seem to eat the plain corn first.