Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Need advice for nocturnal boar >

Need advice for nocturnal boar

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Need advice for nocturnal boar

Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need advice for nocturnal boar

I've been getting a lot of trail-cam pictures of this one boar I really want to take. The only problem is that he doesn't first show himself at my feeder until10:00PM. By then it's well past good shooting light. Anyone have any ideas or methods I could use to lure him out during daylight hours?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need advice for nocturnal boar

Hmmm, good luck with that endeavor. The pics from my game camera here in central Texas show the hogs don't seem to follow a set pattern. They mostly show up randomly between 10PM-5AM on various nights, seldom consecutive. I guess the hogs here are either too well-fed or not too bright because they don't hit the feeder regularly. Of course, the fact that the raccoons climb up and empty it pretty quickly might be a factor. I guess I need to get my sleeping bag and spend the night near the feeder with my super-bright flashlight and a .22 and remove a few of the masked bandits.

Meanwhile, I'll be interested to read any suggestions that others post.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: der Teufel

Hmmm, good luck with that endeavor. The pics from my game camera here in central Texas show the hogs don't seem to follow a set pattern. They mostly show up randomly between 10PM-5AM on various nights, seldom consecutive. I guess the hogs here are either too well-fed or not too bright because they don't hit the feeder regularly. Of course, the fact that the raccoons climb up and empty it pretty quickly might be a factor. I guess I need to get my sleeping bag and spend the night near the feeder with my super-bright flashlight and a .22 and remove a few of the masked bandits.

Meanwhile, I'll be interested to read any suggestions that others post.

Yeah, these hogs are very consistent. This one boar and another come every night around 10 like clockwork. I wish it wasn't illegal to hunt them at night. But even then I don't know how they would react to a light shining on them. I had a group of them coming consistently around 6 and staying until well after dark. But I let one of my buddies shoot one of them and now they haven't been back. But I know they will be. Food is pretty scarce where I'm set-up at.

I had the same issue with the coons. I put grease on the feeder legs from the groud to about 5 feet up and that solved it. It's too slick for them to get a good grip. They still come and partake in the feast but they can't get to the motor anymore. But the hogs are smart enough that they know they can bump the legs and get some extra corn out.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Right now there is a full moon or a near full moon and hogscan party all night. You can get that hog on your clock by doing a fewthings.

1. Set your feeder to feedat 30 minutes before sunset every day. The sows and pigs usually feed earlier than
big boars. The presence of sows willoften entice a big boar to visit a feeder earlier than he normally would. Do not put out somuch corn that there is leftover cornat 10:00 pm.

2 Build a pig toy out of a piece of 4" or 6" PVC pipe 4' to 6' long. Put a fixed cap on one end and a removeable cap on the other. Drill two or three 3/4" (no more) holes in that pipe. Use a piece of chain to tether the pig toy to a T-post. Fill it with corn. The hogs will toss that toy into the air and roll it around until every grain is gone. This keeps them in the area longer. Often a big boar willstartcoming out in the morning or early evening to get some corn from that toy. I have killed big boarsin the middle of the day at pigtoys.

At one of our places there isa big boar, Osama bin Laden. Been after that hog for well over two years.
As witnessed by the game camera, Osama is now on my clock but thatplace is 75 miles from home and i do not get there very often.

Get that hog!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

Right now there is a full moon or a near full moon and hogscan party all night. You can get that hog on your clock by doing a fewthings.

1. Set your feeder to feedat 30 minutes before sunset every day. The sows and pigs usually feed earlier than
big boars. The presence of sows willoften entice a big boar to visit a feeder earlier than he normally would. Do not put out somuch corn that there is leftover cornat 10:00 pm.

2 Build a pig toy out of a piece of 4" or 6" PVC pipe 4' to 6' long. Put a fixed cap on one end and a removeable cap on the other. Drill two or three 3/4" (no more) holes in that pipe. Use a piece of chain to tether the pig toy to a T-post. Fill it with corn. The hogs will toss that toy into the air and roll it around until every grain is gone. This keeps them in the area longer. Often a big boar willstartcoming out in the morning or early evening to get some corn from that toy. I have killed big boarsin the middle of the day at pigtoys.

At one of our places there isa big boar, Osama bin Laden. Been after that hog for well over two years.
As witnessed by the game camera, Osama is now on my clock but thatplace is 75 miles from home and i do not get there very often.

Get that hog!!!
That sounds like a pretty cool idea! I'll have to give that a try. I've heard of drilling some holes in a barrel and letting them roll that around to get the corn out of it, but not PVC pipe. I'll have to take a trip to Lowes tonight.

I did change a few things today. I checked the Cuddeback and they came about 30 minutes earlier last night. Still past shooting light, but earlier. He also had 3 others with him this time instead of just one other boar. I expected this though because the group of 6 I had coming consistently during daylight hours stopped coming when my buddy took one of them. But now they are coming back. I set the feeder to sling less corn and set it to sling earlier in the day. That way the coons and birds will have a lot of it eaten before the hogs come. Hopefully they will realize they need to come earlier if they want to fill their bellies. I have been pouring Jello mix around the feeder and they seem to like that. And every now and then I'll throw some ear corn out there to let them chew on.

One thing is for sure... With all the corn they've eaten they'll sure taste good when I get one of them.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: falcon
I've heard of the 'pig toy' thing, but never seen it tried. Another construction method is to use a 5-gallon bucket in place of the PVC pipe. The PVC is probably more durable, but the buckets can sometimes be obtained free.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

I know this won't help in your situation but it is cool to watch. www.jagerpro.com If you can get a nuisence animal permit from the gfc you can shot them at night. Go to fl gfc.com and apply.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Spike

SW,

Do you own the land? If you do, or if the landowner is a friend and gives you permission, you can whack them at night. They are not a game animal and are considered the landowner's 'livestock'. Put a light on your feeder and shoot away.

Jeff
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JB55

SW,

Do you own the land? If you do, or if the landowner is a friend and gives you permission, you can whack them at night. They are not a game animal and are considered the landowner's 'livestock'. Put a light on your feeder and shoot away.

Jeff
I'm a member of the hunting club that's leasing the land. It belongs to a timber company. I have thought about doing that and I still might. I just want to try and lure them out first.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is a pig toy that i made from a piece of heavy 6" PVC pipe. It had too many holes and the hogs emptied it too fast, hence the duct tape. The end cap with the chain attached is glued onto the pipe. The other cap is a tight fit that is knocked on and off with a hammer.

BTW: The big hogs knocked this thing around so much that they broke the glue joint thatheld the end cap and chain on: Those are self tapping screws.Friends and i killed three big boars at the previous location of this pig toy. Two of those boars were killed while tossing the toy around early in the morning.

Get that hog !!!!

Quick Reply: Need advice for nocturnal boar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.