Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Double Header

Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Spike

Default Double Header

I made a trip to the hunting camp this weekend. Got in late Friday afternoon. My Girlfriend and I made it to the stand at 7:15PM. I was climbing the ladder to the boxStand when I noticed a deer under the feeder. We slipped into the stand without spooking it and settled in. Turns out it was a young Buck, and his brother showed up soon after. We saw a third deer for a few seconds but could not determine the sex. Unfortunately, no hogs showed up and my Girl struck out again.

Another club member met me at camp later that night. We got up early and headed for the woods. He went to the stand I sat the night before and I went to my favorite pine tree. (VERY tall) As I was afixing my climber to the tree I heard the feeder go off. (Dang, late again) I made it about ten feet up and looked over my shoulder and could see the dark masses under the feeder. I stopped climbing, situated the seat and settled in. I waited for enough light to pick the one I wanted. Then I got greedy. The hogs kept wandering back and forth eating corn, so I placed the crosshairs on the heart of the one I wanted to kill. I waited a few minutes until another walked in front of him and let one rip. I could see one laying under the feeder dead. As I climbed down I hear Jeff shoot and new it was going to be a good morning. When I made it to the feeder, I had a good blood trail. The second hog made it about 20 yards and the bullet was straight thru the heart. I shot them with a 120 grain Barnes TTSX. thru both shoulders on pig #1. In the heart and thru the offside shoulder of pig #2. I did recover the bullet under the hide of the far shoulder. It looked like the one in the magazine. PERFECT!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Double Header

Congrats on the good pigs.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Spike

slightly unethical, but very nice
Old 06-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice hogs and I dont see anything unethical about it.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Spike

I suppose it would be unethical if I shot a bullet that did not penetrate well enought to pull that off consistently.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: RooterShooter

I suppose it would be unethical if I shot a bullet that did not penetrate well enough to pull that off consistently.
I'm in agreement. I've not had the opportunity to get two hogs with one shot, but I do look for the chance. The stars (I mean, hogs) just haven't lined up for me quite right so far.

Yes, if one were to take a poor shot that only wounded one or both hogs that might be considered bad form. On the other hand, I shoot a .30 caliber rifle that *always* exits -- so I won't feel badly about getting a twofer when/if the opportunity presents itself.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever works...Congrats on the hogs!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Good job. Sounds like a great call on getting two to line up like that.

I gota double while turkey hunting like that, no one ever called me unethical for getting two with one shot. Oh well. But I do have a neighbor that uses the "spray and pray" method with his AR-15 on piggies when they get in his pasture. Now I think that would be the one you should criticize for ethics.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Spike

I just wanted to note: I Got a third hog last night!!! headed home about 1am and he stepped out in the road in front of my truck... I saw him on the right side of the road so I veered to the left to miss him, but I had not seen the other one standing on the centerline. Man that was a hard hit. a Light, fast Toyota is just as deadly on hogs as a light fast Barnes TTSX. the good news, no noticable truck damage.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

nice looking hogs! congrats!