Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Biggest hog so far for me

Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Biggest hog so far for me

Well, I ran down to the land yesterday after church to check on the trail cameras since they haven't been working right, and check the protein feeder and maybe get a quick hunt in.

I've brought people down to the land with me the last 3 or 4 times I've gone down there trying to line them up on some pigs, so of course since I went down by myself and I wanted to make a quick trip of it, there were pigs everywhere!

I got down there and didn't even make it to the first camera to check and I saw a bunch of piglets down by the pond. I stopped and got out and watched them for a bit, but they just trotted off like they didn't even see me. I could hear some other pigs over by the feeder so I snuck over there and there were pigs just laying around on the ground. Most of them were piglets but there was 1 medium sized sow and I shot her. I ended up hitting one of the piglets as well either in front of or behind the sow so I ended up getting 2 pigs with one shot! Here's a picture of the sow getting ready to go in the cooler.

After the pig was in the cooler, I decided to hang out for a while to see if anything else showed up. I saw 6 deer in one of the fields about 600 yards away, and then saw a nice boar hog coming toward me from the west. It didn't seem to like the way things smelled around the feeder so it never came in to the feeder but headed toward the pond and I was able to shoot him right on the path that I use to drive around the property and he dropped on the spot. I think he is the biggest pig I've shot so far. I tried to weigh him, but the old rope that I was using broke twice trying to pull him up in the air with the truck and it was getting dark so I gave up and just got to work getting him in the cooler.

When you look at him without anything for perspective he doesn't look very big.

Then here is a picture with a cooler in it for perspective. The cooler is 2' long and 16" tall. A pretty good sized cooler. (It already has the meat off the first pig in the cooler)

He barely fit! When it was all said and done I ended up with 75 - 100lbs of pork in the cooler.

Here's a closeup picture of his tusks.

It's hard to really tell, but the bottom tusks are about 3" long. They are the longest of any hog I've shot so far. They don't look it, but they are razor sharp and could do some serious damage if they gota holdof you! The large boars have very thick skin around their shoulders that some folks refer to as "armor". It is really interesting when skinning them out.

That's about it for now. It is just crazy that I take folks down there to hunt pigs and never see any and then go down there planning on a quick trip and end up killing 3 of them.

I did get some decent trail camera pictures that I'll be posting in a few days.

Nathan
Old 03-17-2009, 04:19 AM

Default RE: Biggest hog so far for me

Looks like you were Blessed and rewarded this day. Good for you for trying to take folks and allowing them to hunt on your place. Hunting is getting so 'selfish' these days that it is refreshing to read your tale.

I wish we had enough feral porkers here in WV to hunt like that. All we can hunt year round are coyotes and we really don't have many of them.....just trying to get rid of what we do have!!!

Thanks For Sharing,

Dryridge (Dave in WV)
Old 03-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

That little sow is absolute DELICIOUS!!!!! I am going this weekend and those are what I am gunning for.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Spike

Congrats on the hogs. Thanks for the hunt stories. Says alot about someone who was sorry he could not share the real life hunts

Looks like you need bigger coolers.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice hog. Congrats.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice hog
Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very cool! Congrats!!! What were you shooting and where did you aim?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 AM

looks like a very nice day. need to buy a bigger cooler. maybe one of those from the Soprano's.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats onyour great day!!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Those are good lookiing pigs. Congrats.

Quick Reply: Biggest hog so far for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.