Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Damn Dog Hunters!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Damn Dog Hunters!

I isn't about placing burdens on anyone person it's about all of us policing our own.
Again, please explain how we go about doing this, especially if they are ignoring law enforcement?

Stop and take a look at what this new administrations attitude toward guns and hunting is. Do you want to give them more ammo?
No, that's why most of us are smart enough to avoid threads like this. We know the violators probably don't read the threads we start, and if they did, they probably wouldn't change and sure won't fess up. So why bother?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, somebody talks about how another style of huntersis lazy after they just talked about theuse offeeders by blinds at their club. Kind of the pot calling the kettle black. Classic logic by some of the anti-doggers.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Spike

I hunt in a WMA here in north Florida and there is the same problems here with dog hunters. If you drive the roads in the still hunt areas they will have some pot holes and one or two washout points, but you won't find huge ruts and mud holes like you find in the dog hunt area. My biggest problem with the dog hunters around here is I have yet to see a healthy looking dog in the back of one of their trucks. I also really can't see how these guys have escaped the wrath of PETA considering that they pull their dogs out of the 3'x4' pins behind their houses for 2 months out of the year and the rest of the year they are stuck in those pins wallowing in their own feces. As for calling a game warden to report law enforcement issues, well they aren't as stupid as some of you may think they tend to do this in areas where you have no cell phone signal and you have to drive 20 minutes to get to a phone. By the time you call and a game warden gets there they have already killed what ever crossed their path and have hauled a$$ out of the woods.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

I don't hog hunt with dogs, but I do coon hunt. I think its kind of hard to "police our own" as you say. What are we supposed to do, ride around and beat the hell out of hunters who don't do things our way?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I really dont see the problem. Unauthorized dog + on my property = 222 through the chest, No more problem. No one has the right to run dogs, come on your property Hunting wise, without your authorization.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:36 AM

I dont think it is a issue of the method in which we hunt but the manner in which we conduct it. Everyone has views as to what is ethical and unethical and is usually based on how we were raised, traditionsand where we live. Alot of people dont like dog hunting, some dont like rifle hunters, some dont like achery hunters and some dont like hunting over bait. Depending on where in the Country you grew up largely shapes the manner in which you hunt.I was stationed in South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia for 16 years and most people hunt with dogs because that is the way they were raised and its legal. I now live in Texas where almost everyone hunts over bait and its legal. The real issue shouldnt be bashing the different methods in which we hunt but having common coutesy of our fellow hunters. As long as no laws are being broken, who are you to tell someone the way they hunt is wrong. I dont hunt with dogs but I dont have a problem with those that do as long as they are doing it responsibly.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 AM

The problem is with poaching not hog dogging. That being said, I have had my more than my share of dealing with these types. Unfortunately they are always hog doggers 100% of the time in my area. We have had feeders stolen, lost 5 treestands mostly home made(you'd think I would learn), one trail cameraand had a few confrontations. Always dog tracks left behind. The part that gets me: My wife and I bait our areas by hand (our feeder got stolen) daily and bow hunt once every week or two. In these areas I am the only one with permission to be there. After my busy season we start to bait these areas there has been no one there for over six months. As soon as they see our truck there on a regular basis they start dogging the area regularly. Mostly after cold fronts. I have said 1000 times. Trespass, hunt over my bait, but for gods sake leave my treestands! One I had lagged to a tree they couldn't take and they destroyed it leaving the platform in the road whereI drive in. Nowadays we use our climbers all of the time.

originally posted by WHO "I really dont see the problem. Unauthorized dog + on my property = 222 through the chest, No more problem. No one has the right to run dogs, come on your property Hunting wise, without your authorization."

This is asure way to get into serious trouble99% of the time. I have thought about it myself, sitting in a treestand havinga pit bull sit down on my pile of bait. Once with a curr catching a hog on the way to my stand.These guys are already trespassing with a gun most of the time. (felony trespass in FL) I really don't feel the need to roll with those typesover a hog. No matter if I am in the right or not. Trust me the law won't be there to bail you out. I bow hunt with my wife or alone most of the time. I have a CCW permit and carry all of the time, still I am not wanting to go out of my way to shoot somebody over a hog. Shoot one of their dogs and you might have to.

I have never went hog dogging, but I bet where it's legal it would be a lot of fun chasing the dogs around the woods at night.