Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

.22 For Hog Hunting

Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
No offense but I don't get it. Can it be done, sure. You're talking about going with an outfitter and you're worried about the price of one or two bullets?
I think this statement pretty well summarizes my feelings on caliber selection. If I'm going to the trouble of driving out to my hunting spot (it costs me ~$15 in gas round trip at today's prices), buying or bringing along a meal for the evening, plus the time and effort involved, I want to be pretty certain that any hog I shoot at is going down. Sure, .22 ammo is cheap and the rifle is lightweight and easy to carry, but if I spot a hog 125 yards away in a pasture, I want to be able to shoot at it with some confidence.

Likewise, if I wound one and have to trail it into the brush, I want more than just a .22 in my hand when I find it.
. . . Of course, that's why I usually bring along my .45ACP
Old 09-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by der Teufel
I think this statement pretty well summarizes my feelings on caliber selection. If I'm going to the trouble of driving out to my hunting spot (it costs me ~$15 in gas round trip at today's prices), buying or bringing along a meal for the evening, plus the time and effort involved, I want to be pretty certain that any hog I shoot at is going down. Sure, .22 ammo is cheap and the rifle is lightweight and easy to carry, but if I spot a hog 125 yards away in a pasture, I want to be able to shoot at it with some confidence.

Likewise, if I wound one and have to trail it into the brush, I want more than just a .22 in my hand when I find it.
. . . Of course, that's why I usually bring along my .45ACP
I agree why try to save a couple of dollars and end up going home empty handed and having to pay the outfitter. Also I have chased too many hogs that were wounded through thick brush to not use a gun that I know will knock them down. The biggest hog we shot was shot with a .223 in the neck, but we have also had several bullets from the same gun bounce off their skulls. We now usually use a .243 minimum and usually some type of .30 or larger. It lets us shoot them from long range if we have to or make a lung shot on a large boar through the shield.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 AM
Spike

guys
modern day hunting is all about killing the animal as swiftly as possible.
even if a .22 does the job it wont be efficient.
boars are super tough and a .22 is a lousy caliber for that animal.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Spike

A 22 lr will do the job as long as you are close and the shot is perfect, otherwise you should pass. As a finishing shot from very close range i have shot a hog right behind the ear with a 22 short and killed it instantly, its all about shot placement. i am NOT saying a 22 short is a good hunting rd, just that as a finisher it can do the job. however if you are going on a guided hunt do yourself a favor and take a centerfire, or at least a muzzleloader, its lots of fun smokepoling them
Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Spike

I wanna take my .22 hornet hog hunting.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by flpete
I have kill many hogs with a 22 . Hit them right behind the ear and its lights out.
Same here!
Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Spike

bn there and done that. Shot hog at 65 yards with 22 long rifle, aimed right into the ear. He dropped right where I shot him. The hog weighed in at 192lbs.