Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Help me with HOGS....Georgia! >

Help me with HOGS....Georgia!

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Help me with HOGS....Georgia!

Old 12-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Default Help me with HOGS....Georgia!

New to Georgia moved from Michigan...need to get aquainted with you guys.

I'm in Cumming GA, in Forsyth County.
My Brother came down this week and he has me pumped to go Hog Hunting.
He has been Hog hunting with bow and gun along with moose, caribou and fair chase hunting.

I have only been down here in GA about a year, and need some guidence on best places, and some of the rules.

I have a friend in Dalton with 250 acres which he deer hunts on. Is this an area I can kill pigs?

Thanks
John

Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me with HOGS....Georgia!

Hey Brother.

You have some hits and guys will post and respond...the level of people is not really high on this part of the HNI forum...but rest assure the guys in your area will respond and guide us in the right direction if they can. The guys/gals on here are good at heart and they all understand and love huntin....We'll get there...we'll get some hogs on your terf

Stay on this post and watch it daily..learn from these guys...you'll develop good connection like you do on the vette forums...

Thanks for a great week in GA...Best time I've ever had....
Old 12-31-2008, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

bowtie8,

Welcome to Ga.& the forum. I don't post on here much but do read it alot. I live S. of Macon and tell you hogs are all over GA. As for rules of hog hunting, pick up the free hunting handout DNR puts out, you'll find it in most sporting goods store or go onlineto the GA DNR web site.

I hunt mostly along the Ocmulgee river bottom lands, but one thing you might want to check out is local farmers in your area. Most of them hate hogs because they root up their crops. If they don't have their land leased to a hunting club, you'll most likely find some that will welcome you to kill any all hogs on their land.

One type of hog hunting I do on farm land is to hunt them at night after the farmers harvest their crops. A word of warning, if you do get permission to hunt a farmers land and the crops are still in the field, "do
not under any circumstance drive a vehicle on their crops". In that light, keep in mind, should you shoot a hog in a crop, say out in the middle of the crop, you are going to have drag it to the edge of the field, sometimes, this can be tough if it's a large hog, so think about what you're willing (work) to do before pulling the trigger.

I took 2 buddies from N GA hog hunting a few weeks back, started at night and hunted to late morning and started again late evening. We passed up hogs out in the fields (which would have been a long shot), but some crops had been harvested, peanuts in particular and the farmers said we could drive across the field to any hog we shot. Most hogs are going to run from your vehicle when you drive into the field, so a good 6 volt light and a little walking the edge of the field is a good way, one person holding the light and the other doing the shooting.

Another thing I dowhen Ihave permission to hunt a farmers land, I go out and drive around and check for farm equipment in the fields, such as tractors, irrigation pivots, and to see if he has livestock in an ajoining field(safety first), any homes near the fields, because at night you've got to know what direction (as always with any type of hunting)you can shoot without killing a tractor,etc., it's cheaper to buy a hog than a tractor) It's definitely a different challenge at night.

Good Luck,
dog1
Old 12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dog 1!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Well if your wanting to hog hunt near Dalton Ga then you want see any hogs at all in that area. There are some okay size deer in that area but no hogs. Macon Ga has hogs there are clubs you can join that offer hog hunts .I know of one that will let you join for a year to deer hog and turkey hunt it is just south of Macon not far though !
Old 01-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

E-mail CupCake28 She lives right there in Cummings
Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted quite a bit of private land around Macon. Many people down there gave me and others permisson to hunt their fields, but it was hard hunting. The hogs were kind of "here today, gone tomorrow". We found great sign, but actually finding the hogs while they were still there was tough.

There's many hunting clubs down there too with lots of good land. Never heard of many hogs in the Dalton area. If you don't want to go that far, I used to hunt Joe Kurz WMA in Meriwether County. The game wardens there told me there were a few hogs on that place from time to time right on the river. I've never seen a hog on it, but I've seen tracks and other sign. I've killed hogs in Meriwether County before, but it's certainly not the best spot to hunt for hogs. Deer and turkey hunting is amazing there though.

Georgia has some wonderful hog hunting, but you really have to get on the southern side of the state to really see the best of it IMO.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great Posts!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Spike

Default Fellow Michigander

QHi I read your post,Are you looking for people to hog hunt on your land ? Ive always wanted to hog hunt and I am looking for a place to do some, Thanks Ross308
Originally Posted by bowtie8
New to Georgia moved from Michigan...need to get aquainted with you guys.

I'm in Cumming GA, in Forsyth County.
My Brother came down this week and he has me pumped to go Hog Hunting.
He has been Hog hunting with bow and gun along with moose, caribou and fair chase hunting.

I have only been down here in GA about a year, and need some guidence on best places, and some of the rules.

I have a friend in Dalton with 250 acres which he deer hunts on. Is this an area I can kill pigs?

Thanks
John
Old 11-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Spike

Default Help with hogs

Im also from Mich Ide Love to come hog hunt if your offering sir.
Originally Posted by MichiganWhitetails74
Great Posts!