Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hunting with spears?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:13 AM

Default RE: Hunting with spears?

I have just bought three black mouth kerr dogs for hog hunting. I know most people say A WHAT KIND OF DOG. Its a purpose breed dog. A mix between wire hair pointer, rott,pit,and lab. There tall with redish wire hair mid length nose big jaw muscles and keep there nose to the ground 80% of the time. Anywho, I was going to ask what is everyones prefered knife when hunting hogs. Everyones got a favorite.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

I have taken a majority of my hogs with a knife. The adrenaline rush is hard to beat. I have used a guide service on3 of those occassions,and all of them accomodate whatever weapon you want to use. They have folks come with Katanas (Japanese fighting swords), spears of all shapes and designs,and1 story I heard was of a middle age guy taking a 400+ lb hog with a medieval battle axe (no catch dogs I hope!).As long as the dogs aren't in too much danger, they really don't mind what you do.

I use a 13 inch Marine Raider Bowie from SPEC PLUS. It may be overkill on some smaller hogs, but it is well balanced and the size/weight gives it plenty of mommentum to get in through the armor plate, in case you first stick is too far forward.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:01 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Never used a spear but stuck many with a knife when I lived in Tejas. Hunted with dogs and if we could get to them with an ATV we tied them and brought them out alive. If we were going to have to drag them very far we just stuck them.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya'll are crazy! lol i couldnt imagine trying to stick a hog with a knife
Old 12-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

You guys are wimps. Get somethingwitha challenge to it.

Use an olive sword
Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The knife I used the most was a modified Ka-Bar, but my favorite now would probably be the Camillus MK-3.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:58 PM
jch

It is a great rush. If you get good dogs not that risky. My 10 yr old killed one with a knife bout 2 weeks ago.