Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

mule footed hog

Old 11-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: mule footed hog

I feel for the Jews, and the Muslims too, because pig tastes good.

Feel not for the Israelis: Pig is available in Israel as "white meat." One of the best ham sandwiches i ever had was in Tel Aviv.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: falcon

Feel not for the Israelis: Pig is available in Israel as "white meat." One of the best ham sandwiches i ever had was in Tel Aviv.
no kidding? wow. I used to have a friend in school whose family was so orthodox that I couldn't actually walk in the house without a beanie on my head.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had some Muslims over once for a bar-b-que. They asked if pork had ever been cooked in my grill, because they wouldn't be able to eat off a grill that ever had pork cooked on it.. I said no!!! That will teach them to trust the infidel.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I had some Muslims over once for a bar-b-que. They asked if pork had ever been cooked in my grill, because they wouldn't be able to eat off a grill that ever had pork cooked on it.. I said no!!! That will teach them to trust the infidel.
I know I'm probably going to hell for LMAO, but that is funy.......back in the days when I was waitressing, I worked at this seasfood place, the clam chowderwas top notch, so when this guy and his family ordered it, i brought it out, i went to check on them and he asked what was in it, I was telling him, I got to BACON, he freaks out, runs to the bathroom and makeshimself puke, needless to say I didn't get a tip, lol......I didn't know, if he would of asked prior to eating it, I would of told him then, he made it out like i did it on purpose, it was funny too, lol......
Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy and I trapped a mule footed hog in south Georgia about 10 years ago, but only the back feet were like that. The front were the standard cloven hoof.

The muslims I met in Iraq would eat pork if it was given to them for free in the chow hall, but no other time. I can't blame them, if I only made $11 a day, I wouldn't be picky about food either. Some of them also ate camel spiders... I hear they taste like crab, but I never tried it.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Mywife's cousin married an Iranian guy, Mo (Mohammed). Mo's uncle came over for eye surgery at Thanksgiving some years back. He asked his nephew what kind of meat the ham was at the feast(it was all sliced up). Mo answered "Smoked pheasant." Mo's uncle enjoyed the meal.

No one has answered my question though- Since a mule footed hog does not have a cloven hoof, could it be eaten by orthydox Jews or Muslims??

There could be a new market there for Iowa hog.

Bob
Old 11-23-2008, 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Robert L E

I'm half way serious with this question, perhaps one of our Jewish brothers can answer it. What would be the ramifications of a hog that does not have a cloven hoof, as far as kosher eating goes?

Bob
Bob, I'm not Jewish, but i did find this out by digging a little bit, and asking a few questions. Here's the answer I got:

ORIGINAL: Rabbi Daniel
In the Bible, G-d refers to those land based animals which BOTH have a cloven hoof AND chew cud as being "clean" (and therefore acceptable for consumption). A pig has a cloven hoof but does not chew cud, and is one of the animals specifically listed as non-consumable. Where you may find a list of animals, birds and fish which are forbidden as well as those permitted is in Deuteronomy 14:2-20. Interestingly, although G-d gives these commands to Israel, He speaks through the prophet Isaiah that He will judge the nations of the world (in the end of days) for their consumption of swine's flesh and their involvement in activities which he calls, "an abomination". Isaiah 66:17.
and

ORIGINAL: Hasidic Rabbi
The Bible (Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14) says that Israelites (today's Jews) may eat mammals that have both cloven hoof and chews cud. The reason the pig may not be eaten is because it only has cloven hoof, but does not chew cud (making it unique among animals with cloven hoofs). Therefore a pig without a cloven hoof would have a "double whammy" so it would certainly be not-kosher. Animals with uncloven hooves (like horses and llamas) are also not kosher, whereas those with cloven hooves and who chew cud (like cows, sheep, goats, deer, antelope, giraffes, and okapis) are kosher.
So guess we're all damned for eating pig, and the "abomination" of hunting it with lust, eh?

(raises beer) Here's to Hell, Folks!