Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

EPIC hunting trip. Nope.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default EPIC hunting trip. Nope.

Kind of a late hunting report but what the heck. Went out to the lease and it is deer season (along with hogs). I took two more gents I have met and put them in the end of the road stand and on the road.

The road has been planted with millet and iron clay peas and the end of the road stand slings the corn. John went to the ground blind and Jim goes to the road. I took the oaks stand because the wind was bad for it and the swamp stand had no corn. I did not even know if it was still under water or not at the time.

I sat in the oaks and watched the squirrels do their thing and just enjoyed the scenery. It was good to have something to watch because nothing, zip, nada, came in to have a bite. I went out and the guys saw nothing either. We drove out to get dinner and found out that a 357 snub nose revolver is not enough to stop a 65-pound pig.

We camped out and hit the stand at least an hour and a half before shooting light. It was calm. I mean I only heard one hog get eaten by a gator. There was not another peep in the woods, no dillos, coons, nothing. As I sat there around 7:20 I spy a little brown flick. I just love my two man ladder stands because they help you get nice and drowsy but when you see the “flick”, you are awake like someone slapped your face. Here she comes down the trail. I have several photos of this old doe. She has even started to turn a grey color with a long Roman nose. I am thinking about shot placement when I see just the smallest part of light tan/red behind her.

There he is. My adrenalin has now pumped me up to warp 12 and I believe I am actually going to get a shot at a really nice buck. Through the fog of battle I managed to count 8 or 9 points and he is coming in behind her with one thing on his mind (is it to early?). I am holding as still as the statue of David and REALLY trying to concentrate and bring everything into focus.

The doe moves to about 35 yards from me. The wind is blowing in my face at around 15 knots. I am not sweating. I brushed my teeth with baking soda. I had not even passed gas that morning. SHE BUSTED ME!!! I mean she is strolling along looking at her morning version of bacon and eggs and stops in her tracks like you hit her with a frying pan. She lets out one “woof” and they bolt like track stars coming off the line. I have no clue how she did this but a buddy of mine said they have a sixth sense and sometimes just know to run. Guess he is right. I waited for about 30 more minutes and here comes a slab of ham down the trail.

A cute little 50 to 60 pound butterball is coming right for the corn. Ok…been here….done that..I get ready to perforate his airbags. He walks along and just gets toward the corn and ambles off the other direction eating acorns. No sweat he is coming back. Yep he will come through the palmettos any second. Now? YO PIG!!! Ok now I am ticked. I wait for another hour and nothing else comes in. I tried to whack a squirrel but I guess my heart was pounding to hard to line up the shot. Or I just suck. Climb down and go meet the rest of the guys.

They saw…….drumroll……NOTHING!!!!

We filled feeders with a cool overcast sky and made ready for the evening hunt. While feeding the oak feeder I noticed one of those Deer wicks hanging on a little sapling near my feeder. WTF!!!! I do not use those. Someone is using my feeder and hunting it. That’s why I got BUSTED and did not produce. The manager of the property told me it was an offense that would get you kicked from the club. I am PISSED but was not going to show it to the guys. I called Danny twice while I was in my car getting ready to chew him out and try to find out if we could find out who was doing this. The idiot that did it did not even find my camera. AHA I got the sucker on film. Well when I get home I downloaded it to see if I could I.D. the culprit. Oooppsss…I took a kid there 6 weeks ago and he did not tell me he hung up one of those wicks. I got a great picture of him dipping the “ole scent wick” in the bottle. I sure am glad Danny did not answer his phone.

Jim went home and I tried to get a nap to no avail. We hit the stands and settled in for our 4 hour watch a thon. I watched birds, armadillos, limb chickens, and a snake. Climbed down and we met and John saw diddlysquat also. We went home and I passed out.

How is that for wasting your time reading a story with no happy ending?

Gl n gh

Old 10-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: EPIC hunting trip. Nope.

I enjoyed the read. Sorry you didn't have a little better luck.

Better luck next time!

Nathan