HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Calls and Scents...Updated w/Pics...Thanks! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/254557-calls-scents-updated-w-pics-thanks.html)

jbowersox 07-26-2008 12:09 PM

Calls and Scents...Updated w/Pics...Thanks!

I'm going on a hog hunt again in a week and was wondering about using a hog call and some attractor scents. I will be in a tree stand by a feeder. Do you think that using a hog call and a scent would be a good tactic or should I go without and let the feeder do it's thing.

The Rev 07-26-2008 01:05 PM

RE: Calls and Scents

NO, most calls will only drive away hogs, the average hunter doesn't know enough to callin a hog.A feeder should be sufficient, hogs are smart and sometimes just putting out scents and walking over where you expect them will only drive them away. It's best to get to the stand and leave things as undisturbed as possible.

Rebel Hog 07-26-2008 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

NO, most calls will only drive away hogs, the average hunter doesn't know enough to callin a hog.A feeder should be sufficient, hogs are smart and sometimes just putting out scents and walking over where you expect them will only drive them away. It's best to get to the stand and leave things as undisturbed as possible.
Very Good Advice!:)

jbowersox 07-26-2008 07:23 PM

10-4 fellas! I want to get a poke at one of these things so freakin' bad. Here's hopin the feeder does the trick this time.

Snook384 07-27-2008 12:47 PM

Just make sure it is a LOUD feeder. It calls them in better than anything else. I have seen a soda can filled with corn used as a call before. Shake , shake, shake and they actually came to the feeder an hour early. they were just waiting in the palmettos for it to go off.

jbowersox 07-27-2008 06:32 PM

The last time I went the feeder didn't go off. I'll make the sure with outfitter this time.

Snook384 07-28-2008 05:07 AM

Where in Florida are you hunting?

jbowersox 07-28-2008 07:26 AM

I'm going to be hunting at an outfiftter by Fisheating Creek which is on the west side of Lake O. I live in Palm Beach County and the only place I've been hunting so far is the WMA's. I don't have very much fun hunting there...So many people and I haven't seen a hog yet. Anyhow this outfitter has a pretty good deal. It actually costs me more in gas than it does for the hunt. If I get a hog, it will be an added $100. Hopefully this time!

jbowersox 08-02-2008 11:10 AM

RE: Calls and Scents...Updated w/Pics...Thanks!

Got one last night. 225lbs. 25 yard broadside shot with Magnus Stinger Broadheads. Had a ball!

Rebel Hog 08-02-2008 12:10 PM

RE: Calls and Scents...Updated w/Pics...Thanks!

ORIGINAL: jbowersox

Got one last night. 225lbs. 25 yard broadside shot with Magnus Stinger Broadheads. Had a ball!

At 25yds !.........WTG Hog Hunter!..........Congrat's