Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

When to Hunt them?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default When to Hunt them?

When do most of you all hunt wild boar??? and in your opinion whats the best time to hunt them or does it matter?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When to Hunt them?

I have always had the best luck right before dark, but have also killed a few in the morning. My hunting group used to make a hog huntin south texas every year and we would hunt for a week until the money got stupid....We would hunt the hogs in the morning and evening and hunt javalina in the mid day...I hunted that ranch for 9 years running (I miss it) that was a awesome hunt......When I first went there I did some walking in the mid day looking for sign and found a promising spot, I started baiting with hog wild right then and killed a big boar that evening and that same spot produced good hogs for like 4 years and then went dead....I have killed a slew of them pigs late in the evening with just a few minutes of daylight left. I just killed a pig last week and that group came in with about 15 minutes of daylight left.....You might even want to consider some type of light for your sights....That has been my experience with the piggies...Good Luck...
Old 05-22-2008, 08:17 PM

I have had better luck in the evenings right before dark, but I have killed a few at dawn.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The majority in the evening...a few in the morning though!
Old 05-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

Late evening and during the night...
Old 05-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've seen them in the mornings, evenings, and in broad day light. A lot depends on time of year, and location and availability of food. I don't know if there is a magic time, unless you like hunting dark thirty.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

I love hunting the piggies and will be going tomorrow all day. I have only hunted hogs here in Florida and from whatI have gathered they are almost impossible to determine what they are going to do next. I have found a few clues that have helped me connect but just when you think you got it they go and do something nuts that throws your "patterning" all to hell. I do not run dogs and still hunt or stalk only so here we go.

1. Hogs hate the heat so look for them in the cooler parts of the day. Late evening seems to be the best but I have taken a bunch at dawn. The trick is to have your feeder go off while it is still dark and you get your but in the seat 30 minutes before the feeder goes off.

2. Hogs do not like the wind. If it is very windy and the trees are blowing like crazy hang it up.

3. Hogs like water. When it is hot they go and drink and wallow a lot. In Texas this might help but I hunt a flippin swamp. It is all water and mud.

4. Hogs pattern food. When you find a place they have been rooting go in and do some rooting yourself. Find out if they are eating grubs, tuber, or roots. Then look for similar places or put a stand covering that area.

5. Feeders WORK. It just takes a few months to begin training them to go to them at a set time. Before to long you will have different family groups competing for the corn and they will become very predictable. My buddys place has had the same feeders for 8 years now and it goes like this. Drive upt to stand at 5:55, sit, 6:00 feeder goes off, 6:10 hogs come in and get shot, 6:12 get gator, load hog, and go home to start dinner.

6. If you are not allowed feeders (public land, State Regs) then it is time to do an autopsy. When you get a hog in your area or someone else does inspect the stomach contents. This will really help you find where they are hanging out and eating.

7. Hogs seem not to like the full moon and it messes up the times they run around. I have noticed a pattern during the full moon times that the hogs sleep through the morning. I have shot god knows how many at noon or later during those times. During a full moon they just seem to come out a bit later.

8. Hogs like the rain. Especially that irratating drizzle crap that just makes ya feel muggy. When we get our afternoon showers I will go patrol the roads and you would be suprised how many I see out in the fields and rooting up the edges of the road. It is very nice to take one like that because then you just drive up and throw it in the truck.

Now that I have given you a few pearls of wisdom let me tell you about the last hog I blasted. 11 am, new moon time, in the middle of an open field, staring at a stump, dry as a bone and no water around.

So there you have it. Hogs just seem to do whatever they want. Get out and get some pork.

gl n gh