Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 how long can u hunt a group of pigs till they move >

how long can u hunt a group of pigs till they move

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

how long can u hunt a group of pigs till they move

Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 AM

Default how long can u hunt a group of pigs till they move

Hi Pig Slayers of the world
I came across a nice group of pigs on Sunday but they ran after I missed my shot[:@]. Today (tues.) I went back and they were down wind and bolted. I want to go back but dont want to scare them away. Seems like they come around this area 1 or 2 times a year ??? Any idea's ?? Ive bein slipping in really quitely trying not to give them much reson to leave . Thanks all for any ideas, theories and input
Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how long can u hunt a group of pigs till they move

Hey Paka. It really depends on the pressure the hogs have experienced in the past. They are smart animals. If they have put up with heavy pressure in the past and moved on to get away from it they will likely do that again. i have hunted some hogs that were not heavily hunted and they stuck around for days longer than I expected.
As you know watch the wind and don't let them know you are there. Oh, and shoot a bit straighter! LOL
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: paka

Hi Pig Slayers of the world
I came across a nice group of pigs on Sunday but they ran after I missed my shot[:@]. Today (Tues.) I went back and they were down wind and bolted. I want to go back but dont want to scare them away. Seems like they come around this area 1 or 2 times a year ??? Any idea's ?? Ive been slipping in really quietly trying not to give them much reson to leave . Thanks all for any ideas, theories and input
Depends on the availability of food & water or Hunters & Hunting Dogs....
Old 04-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I am not even sure how far pigs do travel but all the places I hunt from central to north Florida I can not seem to make dent in any of the population. I have shot for 5 days straight on one feeder on a piece of regular farm property killing at least a pig and sometimes up to 3 every morning and evening. 23 pigs on one feeder that week. They breed like rats and I am not sure you could pressure them hard enough on private property. I also hunt some WMA's here in Florida and let me tell you that those pigs are COMPLETELY different than non public land pigs. They are smart as hell and you can blow a good stand with one bad whiff from downwind. They never show up again. So...to answer your question with a quote from a good fiend of mine...."they are pigs dude, you cant ever tell what the hell they are going to do".

Good luck and good hunting.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Snook384

So...to answer your question with a quote from a good fiend of mine...."they are pigs dude, you cant ever tell what the hell they are going to do".

Good luck and good hunting.
If the water dries up and the area is rooted clean orif the pressure is great form hunters and hog dogs, they will move on!

In 11+ years of hunting Perry and the Old Stienhachee in Cross Citywith dogs, I have taken well over200+ hogs just at these two areas. I ran hog dogs in FL from Big Cypress to Tallahassee for 45+ years...
Old 04-20-2008, 09:06 PM

Hog wont stay away due to gunshots only when they get bit in the butt by a dog your place is probally only one of their spots that they visit for a while then go to the next. For more info about hog habits leave me an email at[email protected] I know lots about hogs I promise.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

It all depends on the available food and water. If water is scarce huntingat water holes is very productive. I once shot members of the same sounderfive evenings straight at the same water hole.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Dominant Buck

For the most part, they are nomadic. If there is a good food source/ water, they will stick around for a while. If you pressure them, they will move on, just like a deer. But since they are nomadic, others will eventually find the food source/water.