Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 What would you pay for a european /russian boar hunt >

What would you pay for a european /russian boar hunt

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

What would you pay for a european /russian boar hunt

Old 03-16-2008, 05:32 PM

Default RE: What would you pay for a european /russian boar hunt

Can you hunt at night? The reason I ask is because you said Two nights and 1 full day of hunting. With a trophy pig is there also an option to take a eating pig too? I might be convince to pay $300-$400 depending on what comes with the hunt. I do agree that most guys will be hard pressed to pay for an out of state hunt unless they feel that there is a good chance that they'll atleast see some good animals.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mine paying for access but the fee some are asking for feral hogs seems a little high.After all in most places they are a hazard to country and other wildlife,paying to access the land to help offset damages is fair but if it's a place where you rough camp and provide your own supplies and means of caring for game then when cost hits 250plus for hunting it's unsettling.A trophy Russian boar with feeder and stand and accomadation should run higher!If everyone could hold out for 6 months where there hogs(feral) and they want 250-300 a weekend then about month 7 or 8 landowners would be more willing to haggle on price.It's rare to find anything decent for free so fair price is expected,but for price of fuel,feed,supplies,it's more feasible to eat beef.Not very far from making hog hunting a rich mans sport...look at what they can get for 1 deer in some parts but they are trophy managed and bred for quality...a hog is a hog! End of rant...maybe.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Spike

I'd say a couple hundred dollars for a couple of days/nights if you have a good concession and can providea reasonable chance of an opportunity at a hog.

For example, do you hunt with dogs? Do you have feeders & night lights? Blinds or stands? Before I'd go tohunt anywhere but my home groundsI'd like to have some references. For example, I look at hog hunting in Texas and the only thing that makes me hesitate isgetting ripped off by either the following:
1) no hogs, and haven't been for a whileand the guides know it.
2) penned hogs let loose.
3) owner or guidehas accomplished no preparation, baiting, night lights etc, and still expects acouple of hundred dollars trespass fee for nothing. I'd feel I'd been ripped off; and it's not not nice to anger the man with the shotgun!

We're getting into Prairie Dog season, and I work hard to develop contacts here in SD. When I take someone hunting with me, I know I can deliver a good experience. Some of my ranchers wish a $50 day tresspass fee; and for them I feel it's worth it. They don't poison their Prairie Dogs and they treat them like they are a cash crop.It's worth it, if they have maintained a a good couple of towns to shoot over.

$50 a day;the SD ranchers provide habitat, and can deliver good predictable hunting.Can you do the same? Are you doing something that makes it worth more than $50/day. Tell us about it?
Shotgun
Old 03-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

No its not a night hunt .It is just accomidations with a full day of hunting. The hogs arent feral hogs They are considered to be what most trophy hunters are wanting to hunt. I have found out there are really different types of hog hunts. There is the feral type hog hunt that you have access to land for a few hundred dollars then there is a preserve type hunt for feral hogs that favor russian boars .Then there are the more of a Pure breed russian trophy hunt .Our hunts are the trophy type hunts .The better quality animals. Its hard for some guys to know the difference untill they see what these animals looks like. So we just wanted to get a idea of what most guys who usually hunt and what they usually spend on the hunts they go on. Our hunt is so that guys will only see the better quality boars not just a another hog .We just wanted a idea to see what guys on this forum usually hunt. Thanks for taking the time to tell us what you like to hunt.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:38 PM

i have never killed a hog been one 1 hog hunt in east tn but here in west tn we dont have hogs
Old 03-17-2008, 02:13 AM

ORIGINAL: shotgun31

I'd say a couple hundred dollars for a couple of days/nights if you have a good concession and can providea reasonable chance of an opportunity at a hog.

For example, do you hunt with dogs? Do you have feeders & night lights? Blinds or stands? Before I'd go tohunt anywhere but my home groundsI'd like to have some references. For example, I look at hog hunting in Texas and the only thing that makes me hesitate isgetting ripped off by either the following:
1) no hogs, and haven't been for a whileand the guides know it.
2) penned hogs let loose.
3) owner or guidehas accomplished no preparation, baiting, night lights etc, and still expects acouple of hundred dollars trespass fee for nothing. I'd feel I'd been ripped off; and it's not not nice to anger the man with the shotgun!

We're getting into Prairie Dog season, and I work hard to develop contacts here in SD. When I take someone hunting with me, I know I can deliver a good experience. Some of my ranchers wish a $50 day tresspass fee; and for them I feel it's worth it. They don't poison their Prairie Dogs and they treat them like they are a cash crop.It's worth it, if they have maintained a a good couple of towns to shoot over.

$50 a day;the SD ranchers provide habitat, and can deliver good predictable hunting.Can you do the same? Are you doing something that makes it worth more than $50/day. Tell us about it?
Shotgun
$50 DOLLARS PER DAY? For Prairie Dogs? These things are a worse for a farmer than hogs. I'm not knocking ya for it, I guess it was eventual. What's really sad is that I remember driving out there as a kid to shoot them and the farmer would pay us $0.05 per head up to $10 so they could wipe them out. I wish I would have had one of those Prairie Dog vaccumms I saw on TV. Is that per gun per day?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Spike

Hey, deepzak; you from SD--or where you from? Just curious.

I don't pay to hunt,but in SD the state has an aggressive management policy and expressed the desire toreduce the acres of Prairie Dogs byabout 20% by poisioning.I have to work a bit to find decent shooting. I have a couple of ranchers I know that are teetering on the line to poison/not poison and they're having a tough time of it. I've lost a couple of good ranches because they poisoned everything. The last several years have been drouty in West River. Some of these folksfence the place so vehicles can go in/out from the road, make it easier--you can tell when someone does that for you. I give them some money, one I buy a beeve from his family. I'm not a rich man, not by any extreme measure of the word. Retired military for crying out loud.But I will pay for value, make it worth the rancher's time to go a little out of their way, and not feel they are being taken either. The good will goes a long way, and sometimes makes for a better experience.

Ever been to Olongopo, the PI?
Shotgun

Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: shotgun31

Hey, deepzak; you from SD--or where you from? Just curious.

I don't pay to hunt,but in SD the state has an aggressive management policy and expressed the desire toreduce the acres of Prairie Dogs byabout 20% by poisioning.I have to work a bit to find decent shooting. I have a couple of ranchers I know that are teetering on the line to poison/not poison and they're having a tough time of it. I've lost a couple of good ranches because they poisoned everything. The last several years have been drouty in West River. Some of these folksfence the place so vehicles can go in/out from the road, make it easier--you can tell when someone does that for you. I give them some money, one I buy a beeve from his family. I'm not a rich man, not by any extreme measure of the word. Retired military for crying out loud.But I will pay for value, make it worth the rancher's time to go a little out of their way, and not feel they are being taken either. The good will goes a long way, and sometimes makes for a better experience.

Ever been to Olongopo, the PI?
Shotgun
I am currently living in Virginia (active duty Navy), but grew up in central Minnesota. I don't really have a problem with tossing the land owner a few bucks or a bottle of his/her favorite to help keep relations open and all parties happy. I've done that myself. The time I was speaking of though was when we could still come out to SD and road hunt pheasants and stop at almost any ranch and they would welcome us with open arms to kill PD's. My dad and brother went out there about 2 years ago to pheasant hunt and the cheapest they found was $150/gun/day. I haven't been able to get back to kill the dogs in a while now (been 5 years since I have been back home), maybe this summer. My brother wants to try to get out and kill some yotes.

Haven't had the pleasure of getting to the PI yet. The closest I have been is shore duty in Hawaii. The Navy just isn't the same since they closed Subic Bay, I feel a little cheated.

Good hunt'n
Zak
Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Nothing personal, but I would not pay a penny to hunt any hog. They are a problem on my land, so I hunt them just to kill time between deer and turkey season.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Careful what you say Burnie...may have people lining up wanting to hunt for free...like ME!I can hunt for free but the family land is 8 hours away in Oklahoma and gas ain't free.[:@]

Quick Reply: What would you pay for a european /russian boar hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.