Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

New Hog Rifle

Old 03-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Hog Rifle

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Wayne, I think the 30-30 is a perfect hog gun.
As long as you don't plan to shoot over 100 yards.

Actually, any of the three will work great, but I would go with the Marlin 336 too. If you want to maximize your 30-30 performance, you should try the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo.

Let's go ahead and get it out in the open though, a 30-30 is no where close to the 300 SAUM ballistically. I don't want to be accused of comparing them as apples and apples.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:21 PM

Retreiverman,[/align][/align] The only reason I was so detailed on the three rifles was tohave a good choice to choose from. [/align]My brother - in -law is going with his Remington 7007 mm.he says, 'just in case that 350 - 450pounder comes knockin athis door, when he slams it shut it will be on a permanent basis'.say's that if I wanna play around with a .357 that's my choice. [/align] I know for distanceand absolute powerthe 300 SAUM is the ultimate of the three. and at the 225 yard shooting range i shoota 1- 1/2 moi.using110 gr. v-max. However, to knock down a hog using the 110 gr. I just don't know. how about the 220 gr. bullet. [/align] I can see where this is going, [/align]by the time it's all said and done I'll be taking all three guns with me. purchase a freezer from sears while I'm down there and loading it with hog meat for the ride home.[/align] Wayne [/align]
Old 03-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

Wayne, I think the 30-30 is a perfect hog gun.
As long as you don't plan to shoot over 100 yards.

Actually, any of the three will work great, but I would go with the Marlin 336 too. If you want to maximize your 30-30 performance, you should try the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo.

Let's go ahead and get it out in the open though, a 30-30 is no where close to the 300 SAUM ballistically. I don't want to be accused of comparing them as apples and apples.
LOL!!! Yeah, I would second the hornady leverevolution ammo. I have also had good luck with 170 grainremington corlokts.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Wayne

Retreiverman,
[/align]
[/align] The only reason I was so detailed on the three rifles was tohave a good choice to choose from.
[/align]My brother - in -law is going with his Remington 7007 mm.he says, 'just in case that 350 - 450pounder comes knockin athis door, when he slams it shut it will be on a permanent basis'.say's that if I wanna play around with a .357 that's my choice.
[/align] I know for distanceand absolute powerthe 300 SAUM is the ultimate of the three. and at the 225 yard shooting range i shoota 1- 1/2 moi.using110 gr. v-max. However, to knock down a hog using the 110 gr. I just don't know. how about the 220 gr. bullet.
[/align] I can see where this is going,
[/align]by the time it's all said and done I'll be taking all three guns with me. purchase a freezer from sears while I'm down there and loading it with hog meat for the ride home.
[/align] Wayne
[/align]
Wayne, my wife is from NW NC and I have Hog Hunting friends in Sevier county,NE TN, Clark county, NE TN and Washington county, NE TN. They all use Dogs and Knife or Handgun. Now, when you run Hog Dogs up there, You Better Be In Shape! They have no usefor Big Guns. I ran Hog Dogs in Florida & Georgia for 50+years and the largest I have ever used on Hogs is 12ga Sabot.

Hey I have killed Black Bear with aWin .30-30 Carbine.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:31 PM

rebel Hog;[/align][/align] Danm son, I don't know where the heck you came from but my Idea ofthe ideal hunt istodrivea little over350 miles, check in, go to the lodge, do some[/align]b-s-in with other hunters, have a few drinks, go to bed, wake up and have breakfast, get tothe stand or be driven out to it. ( don't care either way ) and rot for three days if I have to till something that even remotely looks like a pig walks out in front of me.[/align] No one,and I mean no one mentioned anything in that color brochure about a 5 five mile run prior to the hunt.................................. and if you ask your dogs they'll tell you the same thing.[/align] At 57 I'm damn lucky to wake up for breakfast in the morning.[/align][/align][/align]as for the hunt it's in Crossville, Tennessee.[/align][/align]Respectfully,[/align] Wayne[/align]
Old 03-22-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

rebel Hog; Danm son, I don't know where the heck you came from but my Idea ofthe ideal hunt istodrivea little over350 miles, check in, go to the lodge, do someb-s-in with other hunters, have a few drinks, go to bed, wake up and have breakfast, get tothe stand or be driven out to it. ( don't care either way ) and rot for three days if I have to till something that even remotely looks like a pig walks out in front of me. No one,and I mean no one mentioned anything in that color brochure about a 5 five mile run prior to the hunt.................................. and if you ask your dogs they'll tell you the same thing. At 57 I'm damn lucky to wake up for breakfast in the morning.as for the hunt it's in Crossville, Tennessee.Respectfully, Wayne
Wayne

This font and all CAPS make you posts very hard to read.

I would suggest asking the people at the "lodge" what ranges you can expect to be shooting. That should make it simple as to what gun to take.

Since this is your first time hog hunting, I will let you in on a little secret, and you can share it with your BIL if you want to (or keep it to yourself). Contrary to popular belief, wild hogs DO NOT wear kevlar and are not that hard to kill. My uncle raises hogs, and he kills his 300-400 pounders with a 22 long rifle. It is all about shot placement.

As you can see in this picture, there is blood running down the side of this 300 pound hog's head. I killed him with my Blaser R-93 308 using 37 gr Varget and a 165 gr Corlokt bullet (a very light load), and he never knew what hit him.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

rebel Hog;
[/align]
[/align] Danm son, I don't know where the heck you came from but my Idea ofthe ideal hunt istodrivea little over350 miles, check in, go to the lodge, do some
[/align]b-s-in with other hunters, have a few drinks, go to bed, wake up and have breakfast, get tothe stand or be driven out to it. ( don't care either way ) and rot for three days if I have to till something that even remotely looks like a pig walks out in front of me.
[/align] No one,and I mean no one mentioned anything in that color brochure about a 5 five mile run prior to the hunt.................................. and if you ask your dogs they'll tell you the same thing.
[/align] At 57 I'm damn lucky to wake up for breakfast in the morning.
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]as for the hunt it's in Crossville, Tennessee.
[/align]
[/align]Respectfully,
[/align] Wayne
[/align]
Son?.........I can almost be your daddy!....I will soon be 70. I quit running hogs in 2001, but my hoghunting partner of 40+ yrs is still running hogs and he's going to be 80!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

rebel Hog;

[/align]

[/align] Danm son, I don't know where the heck you came from but my Idea ofthe ideal hunt istodrivea little over350 miles, check in, go to the lodge, do some

[/align]b-s-in with other hunters, have a few drinks, go to bed, wake up and have breakfast, get tothe stand or be driven out to it. ( don't care either way ) and rot for three days if I have to till something that even remotely looks like a pig walks out in front of me.

[/align] No one,and I mean no one mentioned anything in that color brochure about a 5 five mile run prior to the hunt.................................. and if you ask your dogs they'll tell you the same thing.

[/align] At 57 I'm damn lucky to wake up for breakfast in the morning.

[/align]

[/align]

[/align]as for the hunt it's in Crossville, Tennessee.

[/align]

[/align]Respectfully,

[/align] Wayne

[/align]
Son?.........I can almost be your daddy!....I will soon be 70. I quit running hogs in 2001, but my hoghunting partner of 40+ yrs is still running hogs and he's going to be 80!
LOL!!!!!!!! You are 70, and you know how to use a computer. Wow, my grandpa doesn't even know how to work the tv remote. I think it is awesome that your buddy still hunts at 80. I hope in 56 years I can still run down hogs.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: okgobbler

.450 is basically a .45/70 loaded hotter for new stronger actions. If you handload, you can achieve equal ballistics from both a 45/70 and a 450. I would choose 45/70 because its a classic thats been around 100+ years and will be another 100. Although if you are only shooting factory ammo, you might like the 444 or 450. It won't matter under 150 yds. Deads, dead, no degree of deadness.
can a 45/70 be rechambered to 450 marlin? i do not reload.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

go with the 450

Quick Reply: New Hog Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.