Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hog hunting w/ crossbow in OKlahoma? >

Hog hunting w/ crossbow in OKlahoma?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog hunting w/ crossbow in OKlahoma?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Hog hunting w/ crossbow in OKlahoma?

Just wonderin if anyone knows if its legal to hunt feral hogs in Oklahoma with a crossbow......I hunted 'em with just about everything else and thought that might be fun. The Oklahoma wildlife website dosn't say anything about it.....I guess I might have to call one of the wardens. I figured I would ask here first.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog hunting w/ crossbow in OKlahoma?

ORIGINAL: Okieboy

Just wonderin if anyone knows if its legal to hunt feral hogs in Oklahoma with a crossbow......I hunted 'em with just about everything else and thought that might be fun. The Oklahoma wildlife website dosn't say anything about it.....I guess I might have to call one of the wardens. I figured I would ask here first.
State Crossbow Hunting Regulations US & Canada
Old 02-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

In order to hunt with a crossbow in OK youmust havea letter from a doctor stating that you are physically unable touse a conventional bow.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

First find out if the wild hog is listed as a game animal in your state.

Here's a worthwhile tip, if your state lists the 'wild boar' or 'feral hog' as a game animal, then you have to follow state hunting regs that apply to hogs or any hunting regsin general.

Many states, such as my home state, does not list 'wild boar' or 'feral hog' as a game animal, so hunting regulations do not apply. I can hunt a wild hog by any means or method as I so choose (provided I can find a wild hog! LOL!).
Old 02-12-2008, 12:35 PM

You're right....I just got off the phone with the Parks & Wildlife Dept. I can crossbow hunt pigs anytime. I don't even need a license cause they're not considered game animals....Hell, they're really more like a nuisance! I actually live across the river in Texas but have an inherited farm in OK so this works well for me.......No non resident hunting license!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM

You can hunt wo/a hunting license ONLY on private land,
and...ONLY when a hunting season in not currently going on
On public land, a hunting license is ALWAYS required

From Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Website
<Quote>ON PRIVATE LAND - No hunting license required, except during youth deer gun, deer muzzleloader, deer gun, special antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope (in open areas) seasons, hunters must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season,(like deer) is going on, then you will need an Oklahoma hunting license<UNQUOTE>

With archery deer season running from the 1st week of October thru the middle of January
You will need to have a hunting license(w/deer tag) to hunt hogs during that time period, even on private land!

Check out the Oklahoma Dept of Wildlife's webpage
on hog hunting regs
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/huntregs10.htm

Bill
Oklahoma Crossbow Shooters Assn
Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 PM

Bill:
Even your link says that I can hunt without a license. The only time I'll need a license is if I hunt on public land which I'm not going to do.....I've already talked with two wardens and they have both confirmed that I don't need a license (even with living out of the state).
Old 03-31-2008, 02:39 PM

IF deer season is going on at the time..you will
Old 03-31-2008, 02:46 PM

I AM the landowner. According to the wardens, all I have to do is get a hogs only permit from them to hunt hogson my own land during deer season WITHOUT a license (as it CLEARLY states in the regs). Both of them said it was a "non-issue"...... and since I own roughly thirteen hundred acres covering a little over two square miles of the most pig infested land in Oklahoma, I don't need to hunt any public lands........
Old 03-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I called the wildlife department last year and they said I couldn't even hunt with a crossbow during gun season. They said the only way you can use a crossbow to hunt is with a valid doctors slip. I can't understand why I could hunt a deer with a gun, but not a crossbow???

Quick Reply: Hog hunting w/ crossbow in OKlahoma?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.