Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hogs in NC Need help!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hogs in NC Need help!

We have a farmthat has been overtaken by wild hogs. We used to see deer, but there is little sign now since the hogs moved in. There are a lot of sign of hogs, ie tore up ground, manure, etc. I was speaking with an adjoining landowner and his brother has photographed aprox. 80 with a game camera in a short period of time. He has managed to kill a couple and close by on another farma 400 pounder was killed. I am not familiar with hunting them,would like some insight and ideas for hunting them. Any commentswill be appreciated.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hogs in NC Need help!

Well if your goal is to control the population then start shooting the Sows and piglets . It will take a while to do this BUt this is the best way to get rid of them . Well you want really get rid of them but you will make a dent in the population. Alot of the wild hogs like to eat at night but there are ways to bring them in. A hog has to have water several times a day an they will eat during the day but they will eat more at night time. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks teejarrardjr! They have plenty to eat and alot of water, the farm joins a large creek.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

oh and if you do kill a few .Please dont get there blood on you. Just in case they do have a disease. A little cut on your hand with there blood that might be infected could make the rest of your life very miserable with being sick and in the hospital. So always keep some rubber or latex gloves in your pack. Good luck with them . Remember feral hogs breed several times a year. So when they have litters of 12 piglets at a time .It doesnt take long to have several hundred hogs on the property. god bless. shoot those sows.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

The best thing to do is to have me come down and hunt them? I will put a dent on the population.Just my 2 cents
Old 12-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

You AND your neighbors have a serious problem if it's deer hunting you want to do. You and your neighbors need to declare unmerciful, unrelentless war on them, and you still won't get them all. Now that they are established it will be a never ending problem.I can assure you hogs cannot bemanagedif you want to have other types of hunting (deer, turkey)with any reasonablesuccess. You will not put a dent in the population by sport hunting them, i.e., shooting one at a time with your deer rifle. They will multiply faster than you can kill them using that method. This may sound cruel and unsporting , but the best method I know of is to use a shotgun with buckshot. Wait for them to be close together and open up on themfiring as fast as you can, anduse as many shooters as can be safely done. Of course the local laws must be checked first to be sure it's legal.If they are not already nocturnal, they will be after they're shot at, so shoot them at night if legal. Some folks might recommend trapping. Some can be caught by trapping, but they get trap-wise, and not so easily caught.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Spike

There are only 6 counties in NC that consider feral hogs to be "wild Boar" and regulate their hunting. The other 94 counties have no regulations in regard to hog hunting.

Here are the regs http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2007_08_Season_Dates.pdf
Old 12-25-2007, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

As a rule deerdo not like to be around large populations of hogs. Hogs compete with deer for acorns and other natural food. Deer do not like to drink from ponds that hogs wallow in. I have seen hogs chase deer off game plots and wheat fields.

Your best bet is to start trapping hogs with a vengeance.This part of OK is over-run with wild hogs.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:43 AM

find some one close that can dog them, you can shoot them, they will go feed and move at night, you can trap them, but they will get trap wise, but you can dog the crap out of them and go right to their beds every time, BUT you can not put pressure on them and have all of your neighbors not doing any thing about them. You should try to run dogs almost every weekend for a long as it takes they will leave with too much pressure once they are gone at the first sign of the comming back bring the dogs back in. Try to ask all of you neighbors if you can get off on all of their places so it does not limit where you can hunt and so they don't shoot your dogs if you get on their land.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

A guy I work with and I were just talking about going on a hog hunt. If you are serious about getting rid of them, PM me and we'll come down and shoot some.

Quick Reply: Hogs in NC Need help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.