Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

WEAR THOSE GLOVES

Old 12-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default WEAR THOSE GLOVES

just wanted to let y'all know that an aquaintance is in the hospital because of Brucellosis, he was in a coma like state and no one knew why, now they do....so please wear those gloves when handling them hogs.....
i was doing some research on the disease.....i had no clue all of the nasty's they carry.Wild hogs in Florida are known to have 45 different parasitic and infectious diseases. These include 37 parasites (12 protozoans, 17 nematodes, 1 acanthocephalan, 1 sucking louse, 4 ticks and 2 mites), 7 bacteria, and 1 virus. Eight of these parasitic and infectious diseases can infect man. These include brucellosis, leptospirosis, salmonellosis, toxoplasmosis, balantidiasis, trichinosis, trichostrongylosis, and sarcoptic mange. In addition, all four species of ticks will feed on man if the opportunity is presented. These potential public health threats should be kept in mind when coming into contact with the wild hog.
The list of signs and symptoms mentioned in various sources for Brucellosis includes the 26 symptoms listed below: with in 5-30 days of contact....
Flu-like symptoms
Fever
Sweats
Headaches
Back pains
Physical weakness
Joint pain
Enlarged liver
Enlarged spleen
Relapsing cycles of fevers
Flu-like symptoms
Asymptomatic
Fever
Weakness
Headache
Muscle pain
Night sweats
Fatigue
Enlarge lymph nodes
Enlarged spleen
Enlarged liver
Osteomyositis localized infection
Spleen abscess localized infection
Inflammation of testes localized infection
Endocarditis localized infection
Lung infection localized infection

Note that Brucellosis symptoms usually refers to various symptoms known to a patient, but the phrase Brucellosis signs may refer to those signs only noticable by a doctor.

you can get it sick from hogs,deer, elk, sheep and even dogs can carry the brucella bacteria.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: WEAR THOSE GLOVES

huntnma, I posted this a couple of years back and it wasn't taken serious according to the replies. I started using gloves on Hogs and Deer back in the 80's. I had gone to theDade City, Hernando County State Extension Service (county agent)to get info on Goats and there was a seminar going on about animal diseases and butchering, which I caught part of. Hey, since that day I started using gloves!

I'm glad you posted this, Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 AM

Gloves! people....a few pairs of gloves in your tackle wont take up space and takes 1 second to put on. Lets think here.....10 minutes of glove wearing or days sick or worse, hospital / death? easy choice in my book. Dont forget to carry water and hand sanitizer too! prepair to reap the benifits of your hunt, not being misrible from it.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Been using heavy duty kitchen gloves for field dressing andskinning deer for over 20 years. We use themall the time with hogs.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the education. I'll make room for, and use the gloves.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the education. I'll certainly add the gloves to my gear and use them.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:37 PM

My dad was telling me how hogs carry all kinds of stuff, this just confirmshis thoughts.
What about eating them? Should we be concerned about that? I'd like to go on a hog hunt but if eating them is questionable I'm not so sure I want to.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 PM

As long as you fully cook the meat you will be fine. Dont eat it rare. Dang good eating, dont pass it up especiallyon a 50 or 60lber
Old 12-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i am glad it is taken seriously.....it is serious....i didn't realize deer and sheep , etc.,even dogs can get it.....after reading the all the material i had read, i know without a doubt i will never clean a critter without gloves....even whileworking the check station, those gloves are going on....
i love my deer meat med. rare, i don't think i'll be cooking it like that anymore....hogs , i have always cooked well, but not my venison, it'll be different....
to be honest, i haven't always wore gloves, but it seems like i am hearing of more and more folks contracting this disease or some other funk from hogs and i see what it has done to them, it's so not worth it...i'll have to get a longer knife for when i'm dog hunting, lol...unless i'm already wearing gloves, but i know that probably won't be the case....thats about the only time i really get blood on me.....let's all learn from the mistakes other have made....i would really hate to hear about one of y'all contracting anything......just becareful......
Old 12-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Remember, this doesnt apply to just field dressing & blood, this is for handling them in any way shape or form...dont take the risk guys[&o]

Quick Reply: WEAR THOSE GLOVES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.