Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be? >

If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

WTG Blue, Good Job!........and with a .22-250, that's great!
Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Fourth Hog

Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM

Just use dogs and catch and tie them sell them back to the preserve they are worth more. but the 150# is great to eat. If you are going to buy a gun just for hog hunting. You need to think about where you are going to hunt the distance of shots you will be taking. But most importantly will the gun be used for any thing else. If you are out west on in CALIF you would want some thing in the range of 270 and up but back east you can get buy with the 45-70 or somthing along thoes lines.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Wouldn't recommend the 22-250 for hogs using a regular varmint round, but the Barnes TripleShock solid copper bullet knocks the snot out of them.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

I would like to thank everyone for replying. I really appreciate it. Buying and setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle might have to be put on hold for a while. I have to see how things turn out at work. It looked like things were going good, until last Friday. Now we'll have to wait and see.

I'm going to use the deer rifles I currently have for now. I'm going to switch to heavier and better constructed bullets. With the exception of my Marlin 336 35 Rem. which I use 200 Core Lokts in, I have always had good luck with light bullets for deer hunting, 140 gr. Core Lokts in my 280 Rem. (Rem. 700) and 150 gr. Core Lokt in my 308 Win. (Win. 88) My 280 shoots under an inch and my 308 shoots just around an inch as they are currently set up. I hope I can find something that these rifles will shoot as good as they shoot right now.

I want to find bullets that will work good on deer, wild boar and black bear. So I don't have to sight my guns in every time I hunt something different. I'm going to try Federal's 150 gr. Partition in my 280. and try a few different 165 gr. bullets in my 308. My friend has had good luck with Federal's fusion ammo in his 30-06. I don't reload, so it has to be factory ammo.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I want to find bullets that will work good on deer, wild boar and black bear. So I don't have to sight my guns in every time I hunt something different. I'm going to try Federal's 150 gr. Partition in my 280. and try a few different 165 gr. bullets in my 308. My friend has had good luck with Federal's fusion ammo in his 30-06. I don't reload, so it has to be factory ammo."

Sounds like a plan.Get them hogs.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:02 PM

I don't know what your budget is, but I heard that Armalite is going to chamber an AR-10 in .338 Federal. I have a Tikka T-3 in the same caliber and love it. I think the AR platform makes a great fast shooting gun and with the .338 Federal you have near .338 Win Mag performance out of a short action and no more recoil than a 30-06. JMHO
Old 12-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen pigs flip on their back with a 44 magnum. Anything 30-30 and up is going to do seriousdamage.Everyone rants and raves about tough pigs...Idon't think so...the lungs are still like passing through butter...Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Henry .44 Mag or my .35 Remington 760
Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got a 7mm magnum and a semi 22 rimfire but now i also have a slug gun. all are good

Quick Reply: If you were setting up a dedicated wild boar rifle, what would it be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.