Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

best gun for hogs

Old 10-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: best gun for hogs

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Just use your deer rifle. There is no "Best". It's all subjective based on personal preference. Icarry my Rem. 700 .243 for deer, and, if I see a hog, I shoot it...
10-10-10-10-10-10-4, Good Buddy!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 PM

What're your thoughts on shotguns? I have a lottery hunt coming up and was planning on using my 12 gauge with 00 buckshot. Shots will probably be under 30 yards because of the brush, and I'd bet they're gonna be running everywhere.
-- B
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Branson

What're your thoughts on shotguns? I have a lottery hunt coming up and was planning on using my 12 gauge with 00 buckshot. Shots will probably be under 30 yards because of the brush, and I'd bet they're gonna be running everywhere.
-- B
I used 00 buck years ago, but went with the Sabots back in the 70's whenstalking them and that wasn't to often cause I ran dogs for 45+ years and just carried side arm.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

i hunt on a very large place where the use of center fire rifles is prohibited. Muzzleloaders and shotgun slugs are sometimes restricted or prohibited as well. So i just take my trusty 10/.22 and shoot hogs if they get really close.Have yet to shoot one that got away. Just put that .22 solid point bullet in the ear or between the ear and the eye.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Spike

I agree with ipscshooter. What ever you deer hunt with would be great. I have taken hogs with everything from a .270 and a 30-30 to a 12 ga. and 22 mag. I will have to say that I have taken more hogs with my .22 mag than I have with any other weapon in my collection.

But if your looking for a good starting hog gun, you really can't go wrong with the trusty ol' 30-30

Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM

I hate buckshot for any hunting, home defence yes but hunting no.
I've whitnessed far to many deer peppered with 00 buck and lost,so I doubt a hog would be any easier to kill with this stuff!
I started deer hunting with buckshot back in the 70's and after wounding three and recovering none I decided to hunt with a rifle or give it up altogether. Since then I've lost one deer that was hit and I've clean missed two.
I quit counting at 40 dead, some years ago. Glenn
Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

i prefer guns that shoot. that being said, i watched a show on t.v. the other day where a guy shot a 180 pound hog with a Gamo AIR rifle and killed it dead. shot placement is what kills, not guns.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:43 AM

I'm not really a big fan of buckshot either, but I decided to try it in my gun. Out to 40 yards I was getting 9 pellets on a pie plate. 5-6 were really dense though (3" group or so). I ended up buying a bunch for my hog hunt since everyone that's done it previously seems to recommend it. Hopefully I'll be able to see for myself how well it works. I'll let y'all know.
-- B
Old 10-09-2007, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: walters444hunt

what is the best gun for hog hunting?
The gun you want to carry hog hunting!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Branson

-- B
For what you are describing, buckshot will work fine. I have killed many deer and hogs out to 40 yards. I see alot of people on here don't like buckshot, and I would bet most have no personal experience using it. The main thing about buckshot is to know your limitations. I use the same standards for buckshot that I use for archery tackle, and with that in mind, you will have no trouble cleanly killing deer or hogs.

Quick Reply: best gun for hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.