Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Got my first pig!!

Old 07-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got my first pig!!

Well, actually it ended up being two pigs!

I went down to the land yesterday to do some work and brought my gun just in case. My feeder was out of corn and one camera had the memory card full and the other's battery was dead so I didn't refill the corn right away. There weren't many tracks and it had rained earlier in the week so it didn't look very promising.

It was about 8:30 so I figured I might as well stick around until dark before going home and see if I could call in a coyote or something. I set up my electronic caller and walked up to the top of the hill and waited. After less than 5 minutes I saw something moving in the mesquites about 200 yards away and it turned out to be a group of about 8 or 9 wild pigs. They didn't see me and the wind was in my favor so I waited until they went over a slight ridge and went out after them trying to head them off. They ended up going into a small field and eating on some wheat.

I got about 50 yards away from them and waited until one of the larger ones was turned broadside and shot it in the head. The group moved off to the left and stopped and still hadn't seen me so I shot another one. Then they saw me and started running off and I shot again and I'm not sure if I hit one or not, but I only found 2. It was a good thing because the 2 that I found had more meat than I could fit into the cooler anyway.

It took me a little over an hour to quarter them up and take the backstraps out and get them in the cooler using the headlights of my car. I was actually pretty happy that it only took that long. (It took 1 hour and 11 minutes according to my camera times). I skinned and quartered them laying on the ground and didn't gut them. About the only good meat that I left was the ribs and the tenderloin, but I was tired and ready to get out of there and already had my cooler completely overflowing with meat. I stopped by a convienience store and bought a cheap styrofoam cooler and some more ice and got everything pretty well iced down at right out 2 hours after I pulled the trigger.

Here is a picture of the pigs:

If it helps the perspective any that's a 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" barrel and a total length of right around 4' long. They don't look very big, but I would conservatively guess the smaller one to be around 50 lbs and the larger one around 150 lbs or so. That's based on dragging the smaller one about 30 yards and the fact that larger one was very difficult to move around to skin and quarter. Also we just took our 1 1/2 year old rottweiler to the vet and she weighed in at 98 lbs and the larger pig was MUCH heavier than that.

We cooked one of the backstraps on the grill for supper tonight and it tasted really good, but it was a little tough. We didn't marinate it or anything so hopefully with a little work it will get a little more tender. I'm keeping the meat in the two coolers in salty ice water for a few days to help tenderize it.

Oh well, I was pretty excited!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:55 PM

Default RE: Got my first pig!!

Excellent !! Pork..the other white meat !!!

I just love hunting piggies, done got hooked on 'em now.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try smoking those backstraps. They won't be tough after about 5-6 hours of smoke. Yummy!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice looking pigs. The pork will taste better after they bleed out good.
I keep them in a cooler filled with ice water for a min. of five days. I change water daily and put in about four or five potatoes quarter to help take out odor.
Works I've been doing this on all big game for years. Works great. Congratulations on your first kills!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrat's

Hey, are them pigs Java crossed?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

way to go.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Congrat's

Yeah Reb, I thought the same thing, especially with the small one. But I didn't think they could cross breed.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice work! Both of those hogs should be good eaters.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice pigs
Old 07-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Congrat's

I would bet money on it! They are crossed, infact they have a lot of Java in them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.