Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Do these feral hogs have parasites? >

Do these feral hogs have parasites?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Do these feral hogs have parasites?

Old 06-14-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Do these feral hogs have parasites?

I woulden't mind hunting hogs, butI was thinking about the diseases and parasites hogs carry. I might go hunting in Texas ans Lousiana, are there a lot of sick pigs in those areas? Also, what precautions shouldI take?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do these feral hogs have parasites?

Try this site.
http://www.texasboars.com/articles/facts.html
Old 06-14-2007, 12:04 PM

Thanks rev.That was informative. I think I'll pass on eating a hog.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

You go ahead and pass, pass it right down the table to me. I have eaten many hogs and will continue to do so. REV and I are going out Saturday night to bowhunt. I hope we both get some pork!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

You go ahead and pass, pass it right down the table to me.

Dang I am gonna have to find a seat at the table betweene4c4ever and Greg

Go ahead and eat it best pork ya ever gonna have
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 PM

Facts are with any animal they have parasites. Wild ones and domesticated animals too.
That is why your vet sales dewormer for your dogs and horses.
Cattle, Swine, and Poultry have the same worms too. Do you really think all the beef cattle running around gets dewormed on monthly basis. What about a chicken farm under contract with a major supplier that pays them less than .05 perlb. the grower can not hardly afford to feed them let alone give the Ivermec.
One good thing is that most parasites typically attack the digestive trac.
If you like eatingChitlins you should boil them first. Other than that you will probobly never ever get any worms or other parasites from the muscle tissue.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

You go ahead and pass, pass it right down the table to me. I have eaten many hogs and will continue to do so. REV and I are going out Saturday night to bowhunt. I hope we both get some pork!
Not sure Greg. I am going to shoot the 3D in Irving with Ausie, after pulling that monster all day, I don't know if I will have the strength to shoot at anything. I am strickly shooting for fun, my bow is too fast for the ASA tournments.... Ausie said you were grounded ? I was looking forward to shoot with you guys.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every hog I have ever shot has had parasites. The lice and ticks are the most visible, but they don't affect the meat. There are probably other parasites, too, but as long as you cook the meat properly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

When I clean mine, I use those blue rubber gloves to cover my hands. Sometimes I take an old pear burner and burn off the lice and ticks so I don't get any on me. Then I just go to work cleaning. Then I cook the meat long and slow until I'm sure it is plenty done. Haven't had any problems yet.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: North Texan

Every hog I have ever shot has had parasites. The lice and ticks are the most visible, but they don't affect the meat. There are probably other parasites, too, but as long as you cook the meat properly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

When I clean mine, I use those blue rubber gloves to cover my hands. Sometimes I take an old pear burner and burn off the lice and ticks so I don't get any on me. Then I just go to work cleaning. Then I cook the meat long and slow until I'm sure it is plenty done. Haven't had any problems yet.
Ditto!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:44 PM

If you are real worried gitem at walmart....those are ready for the pit

Quick Reply: Do these feral hogs have parasites?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.