Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Why do these hogs have tags on their ears? >

Why do these hogs have tags on their ears?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Why do these hogs have tags on their ears?

Old 04-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Why do these hogs have tags on their ears?

Recently I've started getting pictures of hogs with orange tags on their ears. Some have numbers and some don't have any writing at all on the tags. Why would someone trap, tag, and release a wild hog?

Old 04-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why do these hogs have tags on their ears?

What state are these hogs at? We tag calves and cows when tested for Brucelosis, but I have never seen wild hogs with ear tags.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Spike

They were probably on a farm somewhere in your area and escaped. Now they are considered feral, Happy Hunting!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in north texas and we have a ton of hogs and just recently we've started seeing these hogs with tags on their ears. And as time goes on the more hogs we see with tags.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

could be part of a state or school study.... kinda like banding ducks/geese maybe?? shoot one and find out
Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are probably some that escaped from a farm somewhere. I shoot a big sow once that was tagged. She was orginally from a farm and escaped and had been living wild for a couple of years.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Im in North West Texas and its not uncommon to find hogs the kids have let go. When the hogs dont make the sell at the stock shows, some kids will let them go on the Brazos. Ive seen a few that had clipped ears and ear tags. I can only assume those have gotten lose from a buyer, farmer, or releaseby some kids who didnt make the sell at a stock show.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 PM

I've heard of people trapping hogs and "cutting" the boars and then marking them by cropping an ear or docking the tails. Maybe it was something like that, a marker for bars.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

More than likely they are tagged, to let a hunter know they are "bar" hogs, a boar that has had his man hood taken away. This is what we are doing now too. You catch them, cut them, put a bright colored tag in the ear and release. A few months or so go by, see him with the tag, know he's a bar hog, shoot and eat. A bar hog is much better eating than a boar, especialy here in cent. FL!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Dead on. Usually these are hogs that were trapped, cut, then released. Then rehunted for future table fare. This practise is very commen here in Texas. As I am sure it is else where.

Quick Reply: Why do these hogs have tags on their ears?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.